Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Default About app RAM and battery consumption?

If you go into device settings > apps and select the running services tab it will show you how much RAM your apps are using. My question is about the option to show cached background processes. My understanding is that those apps are using RAM but not CPU or battery. Correct?

Global Posts
    8,719 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: About app RAM and battery consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguard View Post
    If you go into device settings > apps and select the running services tab it will show you how much RAM your apps are using. My question is about the option to show cached background processes. My understanding is that those apps are using RAM but not CPU or battery. Correct?
    Yes, you are correct. Take a look at this good read about RAM that Jerry put together: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Makes for a good read if you have a few minutes. Also, what device do you have and are you enjoying it?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Thanks, nexus 7 and love it

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Yes, you are correct. Take a look at this good read about RAM that Jerry put together: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Makes for a good read if you have a few minutes. Also, what device do you have and are you enjoying it?
    It was a good read and thanks for the link. But what are the implications for the occasional cache clearing that we are all led to believe is a good and even necessary thing?

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    It was a good read and thanks for the link. But what are the implications for the occasional cache clearing that we are all led to believe is a good and even necessary thing?

App cache, or dalvik? App cache cleaning is something good to do regularly, dalvik cache wipe only very occasionally. The cache referred to in the OP is neither, those are cached background processes and you don't need to bother with them

Yes I was referring to app cache, and also to that referred to in cache partition. Thanks for the info.