Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Galaxy S2 to S5 (cracked screen)

Hey, I managed to crack the entire screen on my Galaxy S2 a few days ago so now it's totally black and dead. I now purchased a Galaxy S5 and want to transfer contacts and text messages from the S2 to the S5. But how am I supposed to do that when the screen is dead?

I downloaded a program called MobileTrans which is supposed to transfer stuff from one phone to another, the problem is that the S2 fails to connect to the program. Most likely it's because I have to access the masstorage/USB-debugging in the phone and the turn it on? But that's impossible of course.

So what do I do now? I can access the phone from the USB port on my computer. Is it possible to transfer by just dragging and dropping from S2 to S5? If so which folders should i pull?

Hope someone has an answer to this very annoying problem!

Default Re: Galaxy S2 to S5 (cracked screen)

Hello. Maybe your Google account was syncing your sms, contacts and call logs from the S2 unless you unchecked them. If you open your gmail inbox on a pc they would show on the left side.
    Sent from this thing using a finger.

Exaggerating since 756 BC

Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial

Also if the usb is working, download the Samsung Kies version for the GS2, it will check, and then easy peasy.

Good reply, thanks!

In Kies i managed to backup my contact list and transfer it to the new phone. When i try to backup the Text messages it just keeps on loading and it all ends up with this message: Device is not responding.

Damn i hate this kinde of errors, any more tips?

Mine is a Samsung Note 3, slightly older TW menus, but if you cannot access your Gmail or Google account on a pc, you can set up your same account on the S5 and check these boxes, ignore my ticks, and have Master Sync on.

You would see your sms total on the Gmail inbox page on a pc, if they were synced on the S2.

Ahh. I also have GS2 and kept it with another sim when I got a Note 3. Kies 3 point something works on the Note 3 and presumably the S5. Only a lower version works on the GS2, so I had to give up Kies for the S2.
    Sounds you have the sms but it wont load from the old kies. I can't remember how to help you there but people have found a way of getting files from an older Kies which will be buried somewhere in Kies files.
    Did you have to change to a different kies 3 for the S5.
    If you're only missing the sms files and they're important to you, they may either be in Google, buried in Kies or someone can offer more advice. I will look at my Kies later.
    FYI - I would make sure you set up your Samsung account to sync for the S5 (no sms) and remember the log in, as you will need it first if you have to reset. SMS backup+ is a good app I use since the S2.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for your time, really appreciated!

I tried again via Kies, and this time another message poped up: "Not enough storage place". Even though I have several gigabyte avalible...
    Do you know if there's any way to access the textmessages via the computer? Since I can enter the phone from the computer and its folders I should be able to reach some folder which stores them?

I couldn't see where to retrieve sms via usb.

Worth raising this question in the 'Introductions' and 'General Help and How To' forums under Android Central Community. Join in the S5 forums as well.