LG G3 Screen Replacement

A

AC Question

Hey everyone,

I'm here just wondering if the glass screen on the lg g3 is easily repairable (with no cables or anything)? If so, how can I remove the glass and install a new one (plus, I don't know where to even search for one). Thank you :c

Mike Hawks1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a G3 LCD/lens/digitizer with a cracked glass which was pulled from a customers phone when we replaced the entire assembly. I will attempt to remove just the glass this week using a hot plate and molybdenum wire. The only thing that I don't have at the moment is another G3 to test the LCD once I have it separated. It may be a while before I come across a test unit but I will report my results here for anyone interested.

Replacing the entire assembly is pretty easy but right now they are about $140 for the whole piece. I can't post links yet but if you go to my channel on YouTube/mikelv98 you can see the process.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Replacing the glass consists of, basically, heating the screen enough to loosen the adhesive but not enough to damage the digitizer. All it takes is a good heat gun (doing it with a hot plate is like changing a car tire on a wheel using large screwdrivers - technically known as "the hard way") and a lot of experience. Heat guns are cheap. Experience isn't - it costs phones. (Which is why a lot of shops keep "unrepairable" phones - to get experience in things like disassembling that model and removing the glass from the screen.

Doing it yourself with no prior experience usually leads to a few problems - like breaking the screen (digitizer, LCD and LED), losing tiny parts, breaking tiny parts, breaking not-so-tiny parts. The end result is usually that after you've spent about half the price of the phone trying to repair the things you broke, you search for a repair shop willing to even attempt to repair it for you (most won't) and end up paying a total of about what a new phone would have cost. Paying to have it done is almost always a lot cheaper (even though the glass and digitizer is only about $50).

jeffgedgaud

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I second what Rukbat has said, having a shop repair something takes the learning curve out of the equation. I work at just such a shop and we continually get phones in that are customer diy's and mostly they are a mess. Sometimes a budding McGyver will stop when the see they may be in over their head but most of the time we get the pieces and have to put things back together. Many times it ends up with a phone that continues to have problems and is never as good as new or even close.

Take your device to a shop, they have the tools, spare parts and experience to get the job done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20