Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default LG G3 Screen Replacement

Hey everyone,

I'm here just wondering if the glass screen on the lg g3 is easily repairable (with no cables or anything)? If so, how can I remove the glass and install a new one (plus, I don't know where to even search for one). Thank you :c

Default Re: LG G3 Screen Replacement

Do you mean just the front glass, or glass plus digitiser?

Posted via Android Central App

Just the glass, not including the digitizer/lcd.

How about this:

http://stores.ebay.com/no-1-tech/For...sub=3858901014

...And no, I don't think it's easy. Look on YouTube to see it being done, though probably not on the G3 yet.

I have a G3 LCD/lens/digitizer with a cracked glass which was pulled from a customers phone when we replaced the entire assembly. I will attempt to remove just the glass this week using a hot plate and molybdenum wire. The only thing that I don't have at the moment is another G3 to test the LCD once I have it separated. It may be a while before I come across a test unit but I will report my results here for anyone interested.

Replacing the entire assembly is pretty easy but right now they are about $140 for the whole piece. I can't post links yet but if you go to my channel on YouTube/mikelv98 you can see the process.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,517 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Replacing the glass consists of, basically, heating the screen enough to loosen the adhesive but not enough to damage the digitizer. All it takes is a good heat gun (doing it with a hot plate is like changing a car tire on a wheel using large screwdrivers - technically known as "the hard way") and a lot of experience. Heat guns are cheap. Experience isn't - it costs phones. (Which is why a lot of shops keep "unrepairable" phones - to get experience in things like disassembling that model and removing the glass from the screen.

Doing it yourself with no prior experience usually leads to a few problems - like breaking the screen (digitizer, LCD and LED), losing tiny parts, breaking tiny parts, breaking not-so-tiny parts. The end result is usually that after you've spent about half the price of the phone trying to repair the things you broke, you search for a repair shop willing to even attempt to repair it for you (most won't) and end up paying a total of about what a new phone would have cost. Paying to have it done is almost always a lot cheaper (even though the glass and digitizer is only about $50).