Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Htc One M8 - Wrong weather location

Ever since I received my M8 last week the current location for the weather widget (info from accuweather) has been wrong most of the time, always placing my current location in the same town each time on the other side of the UK. However occasionally the location is correct and everything seems fine, but this usually doesn't last very long and switches back to the wrong location. This also happens with the BBC weather app and this again places my location incorrectly in the same town every time (different from the HTC weather location,) but will work accurately on occasion. If I go on google maps it usually takes a while to arrive at my true current location, and usually loads first at the wrong location (the same as the HTC weather location,) before jumping around a bit whilst getting to my true location. My location sources in settings are is always on high accuracy so I'm not really sure where the problem comes from? I previously had an S2 and this gave me the accurate location every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Htc One M8 - Wrong weather location

Do you have GPS location enabled? Not sure where it is on your M8, but on my Nexus 5 it is Settings -> Location -> Mode -> High accuracy.

Otherwise, your phone is relying on the cellular and/or Wi-Fi networks to determine location and these can be wildly inaccurate.

Yes it is on high accuracy, using GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks to determine location.

Try the "Device only (GPS)" option and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks, I have just tried that but the weather data will now not load at all on the lock screen or the widget. When I click on the widget to enable weather again it sends me to a page where I have to agree to turn on Google location services,which once again turns back on the high accuracy mode.

Sorry, I don't have much left to offer.

It appears that Accuweather is not using your GPS info, so that leaves Wi-Fi or cellular location data.

Are you connected to a Wi-Fi router when having this issue? Both Google and Apple (and who knows who else) maintain a location map of known Wi-Fi routers; I'm not sure what they do now, but Google used to capture this info as their street-mapping vehicles drove up and down streets the world over. If a router happened to be in California when it was last mapped and has since moved to Texas when its owner changed jobs, well, you can see the potential for problems. Read more at Google's Wi-Fi Database May Know Your Router's Physical Location

If you are not connected to a Wi-Fi router, then it could be an issue with your cellular network's tower configuration.

Yes this only happens when I am connected to the wi-fi router at my house I think, so that is probably the most likely cause. I'm not sure whether factory resetting the device might help but apart from this I can't think of anything else to do either, I'm definitely not advanced enough to mess about with routers. Thanks for your help anyway!