Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Angry MMS not working on Galaxy S4 Relay Consumer Cellular/AT&T network

Bought a new Samsung Galaxy S Relay phone a week ago from Consumer Cellular. All of the functions work except MMS (Multimedia Messaging). I called Customer Support but they were unable to get the MMS function to work ... said it might be a network issue. When I am connected to their network (AT&T 4G), I am able to send and receive text messages (SMS), access the internet, send and receive emails, and make/receive voice calls. The only function that does not work is MMS. My wife has an older phone (LG Xenon) which apparently uses the Consumer Cellular's 3G network ... her MMS work fine. When I use my wifi connection, the MMS function still doesn't work. All of the other functions on the phone (text, email, internet, and voice) on the phone work OK. When I try to send an MMS, the phone tries to send it, but then after a minute or so, it fails. When I receive a MMS message, I get the text portion and a blank box for the picture and an option to download the picture...but that always fails.

I asked the Consumer Cellular rep to confirm the APN and Access Point settings on my phone, but she would not and stated that since I bought my phone from Consumer Cellular, it was pre-programmed with the correct APN and Access Point settings. Obviously, I am not an expert on their network, but if the MMS issue only affects some of the phones on their network, it appears to me that the issue might be in the APN/Access point settings rather than an AT&T network issue.

The APN/Access Point settings on my Galaxy S4 Relay are as follows:
    Name Consumer Cellular (CONS)
    APN ccdata
    Proxy Not set
    Port Not set
    Username Not set
    Password Not set
    Server Not set
    MMSC http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port 80
    MCC 310
    MNC 410
    Authentication Type None
    APN type default,mms,supl
    APN protocol IPv4
    Bearer Unspecified

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and/or have a solution? It's been a week, and obviously Consumer Cellular doesn't have a solution as of yet.

Default Re: MMS not working on Galaxy S4 Relay Consumer Cellular/AT&T network

A small point but AFAIK you can't send MMS via a wifi connection, though may be possible via a third-party app.
    I did have exactly your problem long ago and as far as I recall I got things working by just re-entering the APN settings. Have you tried that?

Posted via Android Central App

Had the same issues but used these settings I found on the forum in a new APN and it worked. I kept the old CC APN but created a new renamed APN and checked it when finished. Good luck

These are the APN settings for the Samsung Galaxy S3 with Consumer Cellular:
    Name ConsumerCellular (renamed to Consumer2 )
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    Port: 80
    User name Not set
    Password Not set
    Server Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS proxy: 66.209.11.32
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: default,mms,supl
    APN protocol IPv4
    Enable/disable APN green checked (enable)
    Bearer unspecified

Too bad CC support couldn't figure this one out.

I'm so glad I saw your post!! I've had the same problem with my Huwawei 8800 from Consumer Cellular for months!! It worked fine when I first got the phone last year, they must have changed something and can't figure it out. I'm just getting around to getting a different phone and was going to purchase the Samsung Galaxy S Relay. I'm going to call them first!!

Note: The Huwawei Vision they sell now is the 8850, not the old version I have. Hopefully the problem is fixed in the newer model!

Also, Make sure you have Settings: Wireless & Network Settings: Mobile Network: Data Enabled set on because you can't send pictures over a WiFi network.

7/25/2014 - I added a new APN file with the settings specified and I now can send/receive MMS !!! Guess I don't need a new phone!!

Thumbs up Re: MMS not working on Galaxy S4 Relay Consumer Cellular/AT&T network

Hey hookedinseattle >>

I created a new APN using the settings that you provided below and now my MMS is working!!! I can send & receive MMS (with and without pictures). Thanks so much ...I wonder why Consumer Cellular couldn't figure this out. They responded to my subsequent email requesting the APN settings for my Galaxy S4 Relay, but the ones they gave to me were the same ones already on my phone ...which obviously don't work.

I kept the original APN setting on my phone and just created a new one using your settings and just made the newly created one the default setting...works like a charm now and I am still on their 4G network.

Thanks much,

Joe

I have the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy Note. I purchased it from Amazon, Consumer Cellular said it would work on their system because it has the AT&T logo on the front face. I have tried a number of reps & supervisors, so far no luck. The last supervisor said that AT&T has issues with MMS across the entire country and I will have to wait for them to fix their problem. So I asked my Neighbor, who has AT&T as their carrier, to send me a picture text and she was able to send it fine, But when I received it I got a text message with a link to a web site that contained her text message and picture. It never came down to my phone as it should. Both me and my wife have the same phone with the same problem. Everything else, on the phone, works fine. I have tried a lot of APN settings, so far no luck. The last APN setting I entered, from CC supervisor got me closer then ever before. I now get a message back from the network that says 'MMS NOT SUPPORTED BY NETWORK' and another message 'SERVER RESPONSE ERROR'.

Talking Re: MMS not working on Galaxy S4 Relay Consumer Cellular/AT&T network

had to sign up to do it, but I want to say thanks to hookedinseattle for the APN info. I had the same problem as the original poster - same phone, same carrier, same apn settings. created a new apn as instructed and voila! it works. thanks!

Buzz

SOLUTION: I bought a Samsung Active S5 (AT&T).. specs are all the same for Australian Network... after quite some time on the phone with Vodafone support, they couldn't help me. SMS, Voice, Data (4G) all worked except MMS. Turns out the Samsung Messaging up (released with AT&T) is hard coded to work only with their servers (I am guessing its Homeland security, which reroutes all pics for scanning)... All you have to do is change the default message app to another such as Google Messaging or Handcent SMS. MMS will then work fine with the default APN setttings. This solved my problem on the Vodafone network. Happy MMS'ing

SOLUTION: I bought a Samsung Active S5 (AT&T).. specs are all the same for Australian Network... after quite some time on the phone with Vodafone support, they couldn't help me. SMS, Voice, Data (4G) all worked except MMS. Turns out the Samsung Messaging up (released with AT&T) is hard coded to work only with their servers (I am guessing its Homeland security, which reroutes all pics for scanning)... All you have to do is change the default message app to another such as Google Messaging or Handcent SMS. MMS will then work fine with the default APN setttings. This solved my problem on the Vodafone network. Happy MMS'ing

Thanks for the post had the same problem and using these settings worked for me don't you just love beating the big cell phone companies prices even if you have to tweak some of the settings Yourself? Thanks again

Smile Re: MMS not working on Galaxy S4 Relay Consumer Cellular/AT&T network

Fantastic Advice that still works! Was having same MMS issue on CCell network. Created a new APN, added your recommended settings, made that the default, restarted GALAXY S4 & voila! MMS came across without a hitch. Thanks!!!

Do you know if creating a new APN and settings will work on Metro pcs? I'm having the same problem with my verizon galaxy s4 on Metro pcs and haven't found a solution yet!