Is there a way to speed up boot time w/o root?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Boot time usually depends on what applications start on boot so you will definitely need root access.

I'd recommend using Xposed: Xposed Installer | Xposed Module Repository and this module: BootManager | Xposed Module Repository

The module will allow you to modify which applications start up on boot. Having less apps open up during the boot process can speed up boot time.

If you think your device's boot time is still abhorringly slow, you may need to get a newer, faster device ;)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to speed up boot time w/o root or an app? And if I have to use an app, what is the best app out there for this?

There isn't really much you can do without root. The closest I can think would be something lile HTC's fastboot function, where instead of a full shut down, it puts the phone in a state of hibernation. This results in a really fast boot up when trying to turn the phone back on. I don't know if any other phone has something like that.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
There isn't really much you can do without root. The closest I can think would be something lile HTC's fastboot function, where instead of a full shut down, it puts the phone in a state of hibernation. This results in a really fast boot up when trying to turn the phone back on. I don't know if any other phone has something like that.

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app

What do you think about Startup Manager? "Startup Manager (Free)"
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=imoblife.startupmanager&token=AtJJKTwI

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Golly gee, how often do you boot your device and just how big a problem can this possibly be?

Big enough for me to start a thread about it. Technically, ppl don't have to root, move apps to sd cards, or many of the other tactics that are inquired about. But if someone wants to do it, they ask. That's what this forum is all about. :) Do you have any (helpful) suggestions?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Big enough for me to start a thread about it. Technically, ppl don't have to root, move apps to sd cards, or many of the other tactics that are inquired about. But if someone wants to do it, they ask. That's what this forum is all about. :) Do you have any (helpful) suggestions?

Yes.

1) Don't sweat the small stuff
2) Don't break your device in an effort to make it marginally better

:)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well since you're a newbie, I'll let you worry about that. My quest for knowledge/help will not turn into a debate with an internet stranger. Please enjoy your non-productive day.

Actually, I am far from a newbie. I was new specifically to the Nexus 4 at the time I chose that name.

I am a certified IT professional with 30 plus years experience, currently employed as IT Manager at a large manufacturing facility, and have written code in so many languages I have lost track. I had numerous published apps for PalmOS (that dates me, I know) and have also written apps for both Android OS and Apple iOS. Like it or not, the odds are that I have far more experience than you and have learned not only how to make things better, but also how to keep from making them worse.

Just sayin'

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

There is an app All-In-One Toolbox that has as part of its many tools a way to help speed up the boot process. I believe it is a sledge hammer for this question but it will work for you. There are 29 tools in all but the one you are looking for is there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I am far from a newbie. I was new specifically to the Nexus 4 at the time I chose that name.

I am a certified IT professional with 30 plus years experience, currently employed as IT Manager at a large manufacturing facility, and have written code in so many languages I have lost track. I had numerous published apps for PalmOS (that dates me, I know) and have also written apps for both Android OS and Apple iOS. Like it or not, the odds are that I have far more experience than you and have learned not only how to make things better, but also how to keep from making them worse.

Just sayin'

So you remember putting a man on the moon with a computer that had 28 Kw of memory and a 5 Mb disk drive the size of a pizza box ...... I'm with ya.!!

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
There is an app All-In-One Toolbox that has as part of its many tools a way to help speed up the boot process. I believe it is a sledge hammer for this question but it will work for you. There are 29 tools in all but the one you are looking for is there.

The app I mentioned earlier (Startup Manager) is made from the same company that makes this app so I tried it. Thanks for your help. :)

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd be curious how it turns out. Please keep us posted. I've done nothing to my startup processes and it takes about a minute or so to fully boot.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd be curious how it turns out. Please keep us posted. I've done nothing to my startup processes and it takes about a minute or so to fully boot.

I made the mistake of not measuring the boot time before installing it. When you open the app you have the option of checking each app that you don't want to run at boot. Some apps are not available to disable at boot and you're able to see a notification of which apps couldn't be disabled. It works fine for some phones and theres no change for other phones. The app is super easy to use. Assuming that my phone was about a minute to boot before installing it, it is now about 37 seconds.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
According to All-In-One Toolbox my boot up time is 1 minute 17 seconds. Cannot see doing any real work to change it honestly.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Just to see how it would work I used the tool in the All-In-One Toolbox that helps speed up the boot process and was able to reduce my boot time from just over a minute to 44 seconds. Percentage wise significant but I will keep the normal boot process anyway.

DerDoktor

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Quote: Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie

Just sayin'

Quote: Quote Originally Posted by jmagid51 07-23-2014, 09:06 AM

So you remember putting a man on the moon with a computer that had 28 Kw of memory and a 5 Mb disk drive the size of a pizza box ...... I'm with ya.!!

OMG! R YOU PEOPLE KIDDING ME???
First of all....there is no small stuff, if there were, then life is small stuff...but now we are talking zen crap; that being said, I also have been a "IT Pro" for a long, long, time, probably longer than most of you all, I started out counting beads on string to calculate.
My brand new Tablet on 5.0, which I cannot root, (although I would like too, everything I have tried did not work, firsts one I have never been able to) also takes a full 2 to 5 mins to boot, I'm semi-retired so sure I can wait, but I feel this is far too long, leaving it on all the time is also unacceptable, it eats up battery, it gets hot, and on top of that....well, why rant. I have put 'StartupManager' on it but it hasn't seemed to help has anyone found any suggestions for this issue?:confused:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000