New battery for Samsung Galaxy S3 won't charge

I

IanFarewell

Hello,

So I was having issues charging my phone before so I bought a new battery. I bought the Anker 7200mAh battery case so I can get some extended time out of the device. The battery pack came with around 50% charge in it and I managed to get it up to 60%, where it stayed and eventually started going down.

I thought maybe it was displaying the percentage wrong, so I thought I should kill the battery then charge again. It took about 7 hours of HD video streaming to kill it, I was impressed.

When I charged it overnight, it was off and it had the green light indicating 100% charge which I was excited for. When I turned it on it was actually on 5%. I ran into this issue the night before when it was at 50%, when I turned it on it still read 50% even though it read 100% when it was off.

I thought clearing my data and cache would help, it did not. I just bought new usb cables online to see if that was the issue, but I have tried multiple and they are the same.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the issue?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you using the same charger for the new battery as for the old? If so, perhaps the trouble lies with the charger.

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I wonder whether a cache partition wipe would help, or even a full reset. Or have you tried these? I'm thinking the problem may lie with the phone rather than the battery or charging gear.

ianfarewell

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Those were actually the first things I did. My phone is somewhat charging now, but I think I am starting to figure things out. Today it charged from 6% to 26% in about 6 hours, kinda crappy. However I moved it and while it still said it was "charging" it went down to 16% in the past couple of hours. I am really getting lost with this phone.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Two things occur to me:

If you try to use your phone when the indicated charge is low, do you seem nevertheless to get normal usage out of it?....although perhaps you wouldn't care to try for fear of completely killing the battery if it is in fact a low charge.

Also, have you tried recalibrating the battery charge metering of the phone?

ianfarewell

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
The battery dies when it hits 0%, but lasts an unusual amount of time per percentage point (even at 50%). I am having a hard time getting it above 20% right now.

I have no idea how to recalibrate my battery, I tried using the batter calibration app but it required me to be at 100% charge in order for it to work.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the idea is to charge to 100% with the phone on Power Off, then Power On and use till you reach the charge level at which you've set the phone to give you a warning....you could set it to say 10% for this purpose...then Power Off and charge to 100% again. None of this will be of much use if you can't get the battery to an indicated 100%, but it may be if you charge until it must surely be at 100%, no matter what it indicates.