Music playback error?

Adam McBurney

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I copied songs from some CDs onto my phone and they had been working for over a week until I tried to listen to them today and it brought up a notification saying "Music playback error - couldn't play the track that you requested". All the other songs that I have are still working. Also I updated to andriod version 4.4.4 last night and I am wondering if that could be connected?

Norbert2014

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
This sounds very much like my case. Moto G, sound files in internal memory, updated to Android 4.4.4 (stock) a couple of days ago.

Since the update, no WMA files will play anymore. No problem with mp3. I tried with the Google music player as well as with Rocket Player. The error message from Google player is "Couldn't play the track you requested." The file structure looks okay when looked at from a PC via USB.

Any hint on what is going on would be appreciated. Thanks!

Adam McBurney

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what caused the problem but I have now found a solution. I converted the WMA files to MP3 and then copied them back onto my phone. It worked for me so hopefully it will help you and anyone else with them same problem.

Norbert2014

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I was hoping for a simpler solution. I have got plenty of WMA tracks ripped from my CDs.

I wonder if we are the only ones with this problem or if this is systematic for Moto Gs upgraded to 4.4.4. Maybe others with the same configuration can post a comment here.

Posted via Android Central App

Norbert2014

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I looked it up and apparently no Android version supports WMA natively. However, Motorola has added support for WMA to their distribution of Android for Moto G - at least so far. WMA was running well in the version before, 4.4.2 I think it was.

My guess is that either Motorola deliberately dropped support on 4.4.4 or they messed this distribution up. Has anyone a clue?

At least it does not seem to be only my phone.

BTW, WMA still works fine with the VLC player. Maybe a better alternative to converting all files to MP3.

jesscojess

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
It's not just your phone, I also am using a moto g, and none of my WMA files will play any more either, despite the fact that they did just a few days ago and I haven't updated anything...

Has anyone found a solution? I don't mind converting to mp3 if I have to, because it's only a relatively small number of songs in my library and they're songs by local artists that can't be downloaded, they were ripped from CDs. However, I need an app that will convert on my moto g or a player I can download that will work, as I don't have access to a computer.

Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How are you trying to play the music? Are you streaming from the cloud, using the Google Play Music app? Did you download the music to your device and are trying to play it locally? Can you locate the music in your Google Music Library on the web?

bejamin77

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I'm having the same problem with my GS3. I'm rooted and running kitkat 4.4.2. My issue though is not limited to WMA files. I can't play MP3s either. Nor can I play Pandora. Only sound I hear from Pandora are commercials. I purchased Poweramp and I'm able to liston to my files using this player. Any help be greatly appreciated.

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I was hoping for a simpler solution. I have got plenty of WMA tracks ripped from my CDs.

I wonder if we are the only ones with this problem or if this is systematic for Moto Gs upgraded to 4.4.4. Maybe others with the same configuration can post a comment here.

I am trying to play it locally...
It also doesn't show my local photos....
Plz help I can't understand this play back error in my spice dream uno google android one version kitkat 4.4.4 ...
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this could be a geographic/region specific issue? Perhaps those songs are not licensed for sale or play in China? I don't know this, just taking an educated guess. I KNOW with apps this is sometimes the case although I don't know of an app that stops working in a certain Country, you just can't find them in that Country's app store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2