Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Music playback error?

I copied songs from some CDs onto my phone and they had been working for over a week until I tried to listen to them today and it brought up a notification saying "Music playback error - couldn't play the track that you requested". All the other songs that I have are still working. Also I updated to andriod version 4.4.4 last night and I am wondering if that could be connected?

Default Re: Music playback error?

Welcome to Android Central! What device are you using? Is the music in Internal Storage or on an external SD card?
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks! I am using a Moto G and it is in internal storage

Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the system cache partition. The steps for the Moto G should be the same as those for the X: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,8696
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I tried what you suggested but the same error popped up - any other ideas?

This sounds very much like my case. Moto G, sound files in internal memory, updated to Android 4.4.4 (stock) a couple of days ago.

Since the update, no WMA files will play anymore. No problem with mp3. I tried with the Google music player as well as with Rocket Player. The error message from Google player is "Couldn't play the track you requested." The file structure looks okay when looked at from a PC via USB.

Any hint on what is going on would be appreciated. Thanks!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I don't know what caused the problem but I have now found a solution. I converted the WMA files to MP3 and then copied them back onto my phone. It worked for me so hopefully it will help you and anyone else with them same problem.

Yes, I was hoping for a simpler solution. I have got plenty of WMA tracks ripped from my CDs.

I wonder if we are the only ones with this problem or if this is systematic for Moto Gs upgraded to 4.4.4. Maybe others with the same configuration can post a comment here.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm also getting this error on certain songs

Google's player no longer supports WMA music files. Google it for details.

Thanks, I looked it up and apparently no Android version supports WMA natively. However, Motorola has added support for WMA to their distribution of Android for Moto G - at least so far. WMA was running well in the version before, 4.4.2 I think it was.

My guess is that either Motorola deliberately dropped support on 4.4.4 or they messed this distribution up. Has anyone a clue?

At least it does not seem to be only my phone.

BTW, WMA still works fine with the VLC player. Maybe a better alternative to converting all files to MP3.

Thanked by:

It's not just your phone, I also am using a moto g, and none of my WMA files will play any more either, despite the fact that they did just a few days ago and I haven't updated anything...

Has anyone found a solution? I don't mind converting to mp3 if I have to, because it's only a relatively small number of songs in my library and they're songs by local artists that can't be downloaded, they were ripped from CDs. However, I need an app that will convert on my moto g or a player I can download that will work, as I don't have access to a computer.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jesscojess View Post
    Any suggestions?
    PowerAmp. Period.

It's just a $1.99 for the unlocker after the 15 day free trial.

See https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pz.audioplayer

poweramp | Android Central

Hi right I bought music off play store I played fine now it sez error can't play track you requested??? Please help

Welcome to Android Central! How are you trying to play the music? Are you streaming from the cloud, using the Google Play Music app? Did you download the music to your device and are trying to play it locally? Can you locate the music in your Google Music Library on the web?

Guys, I'm having the same problem with my GS3. I'm rooted and running kitkat 4.4.2. My issue though is not limited to WMA files. I can't play MP3s either. Nor can I play Pandora. Only sound I hear from Pandora are commercials. I purchased Poweramp and I'm able to liston to my files using this player. Any help be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert2014 View Post
    Yes, I was hoping for a simpler solution. I have got plenty of WMA tracks ripped from my CDs.

I wonder if we are the only ones with this problem or if this is systematic for Moto Gs upgraded to 4.4.4. Maybe others with the same configuration can post a comment here.

I am trying to play it locally...
    It also doesn't show my local photos....
    Plz help I can't understand this play back error in my spice dream uno google android one version kitkat 4.4.4 ...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krishan Rathore Gagwana Unari View Post
    I am trying to play it locally...
    It also doesn't show my local photos....
    Plz help I can't understand this play back error in my spice dream uno google android one version kitkat 4.4.4 ...
    Thanks