Samsung Galaxy S3 BLACK screen/not working?! Sound working ok....

A

AC Question

ok so i got a samsung galaxy s3 that I got from a friend about 1 year ago, that fell down our metal stairs today and cracked the screen. The screen got some cracks and such, and when i turn the phone ON, the screen remains BLACK, but i can hear the startup sound AND even see the blue notification LED-light (top left corner), but no image appears. It even logs in successfully as I keep hearing notifications pop onto my phone etc. But NO screen image!

Is this fixable at all, ooor is my phone doomed now?! HOW can I get this fixed? :(

Thank you a lot for the help in advance! I know I am asking difficult things here, but I'd appreciate all the assistance/pointers!

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'd say you have a busted digitizer/LCD. When replaced, you should retain all the data on the phone. There's local companies everywhere that charge to replace it, but if you're handy, you can replace the digitizer and LCD yourself. Check out Amazon or eBay for a replacement compatible with your phone (they vary slightly by carrier). There's plenty of videos on youtube showing the process. I've done it a few times on my S3, actually a lot easier replacing the whole digitizer than just the glass.

Good luck! :)

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I see... I am sorry, but I am a little noob with this... are there any links you could provide, perhaps? And which videos you recommend to follow..? My glass is also all cracked up, but nothing biggie. As long as I would get the screen to show an image again, it would all be good. No need to change the glass, I reckon...

But yes, would you be kind enough to show me any links to those things you mention? So I don't end up buying wrong ones and look at wrong videos... Thank you again in advance, and for your valuable advices, sir.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
No problem! :)

The glass/LCD/digitizer is all one piece.

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3786110

Ebay:
White Samsung Galaxy S3 lll I747 T999 at T LCD Digitizer | eBay

Tutorials:
Samsung s3 screen replacement Tutorial. LCD and Digitizer - YouTube

The main thing is to verify that the digitizer fits with your specific model:
GT-I9305 for International LTE
SGH-T999 for T-Mobile
SGH-I747 for AT&T
SCH-R530 for Cricket Wireless, U.S. Cellular, MetroPCS
SCH-I535 for Verizon
SPH-L710 for Sprint, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile

The links for Amazon and eBay were random ones I picked. You'll want to search for your specific model.

Also, you could search for a local repair shop. I found this by me, which has a lower cost* to repair the S3 than just the parts I referenced - Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Repair

*probably more hidden costs, so beware

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh... I see. Well, I live in Scandinavia / Europe, so how do I figure out which one I got..? It is probably international standard one... :O

And thanks for the links! Will check it out asap then. :)

Thanks a lot for all your help so far, man! Much appreciated.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Tool kits are cheap: 8pc T6 T5, cross Opener Screwdriver Tool Kit for Opening BlackBerry Phones PDA MP3 Palm Treo Pocket PC Laptop iPhone Blackberry universal cell phone repair tool - - Amazon.com

This one claims to fit
"Samsung I9300 Galaxy S3
Samsung I9305 Galaxy S3
Samsung I747 Galaxy S3
Samsung R530"
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GT-i9...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3788841

I checked a mobile repair shop in Oslo, it quoted around 1200 NOK($193) or so for repair. So you could save $60 bucks doing it yourself, or for just $60 you could have a pro do it! :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
(lizardchest, you ought to be given an award for offering so much help!)

Posted via Android Central App

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Tool kits are cheap: 8pc T6 T5, cross Opener Screwdriver Tool Kit for Opening BlackBerry Phones PDA MP3 Palm Treo Pocket PC Laptop iPhone Blackberry universal cell phone repair tool - - Amazon.com

This one claims to fit
"Samsung I9300 Galaxy S3
Samsung I9305 Galaxy S3
Samsung I747 Galaxy S3
Samsung R530"
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GT-i9...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3800030

I checked a mobile repair shop in Oslo, it quoted around 1200 NOK($193) or so for repair. So you could save $60 bucks doing it yourself, or for just $60 you could have a pro do it! :)

Thanks a lot for all that help and your expertise on this, but considering there are pretty unsure and scam repairers in Oslo, I'll try to do it myself, using that nice toolkit you linked me to. However, I still need to find a fitting digitizer for my I9300... which one do you recommend for that, lizardchest? Again, I highly appreciate your advising on this, as I really need my phone to be fixed asap. :)

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all that help and your expertise on this, but considering there are pretty unsure and scam repairers in Oslo, I'll try to do it myself, using that nice toolkit you linked me to. However, I still need to find a fitting digitizer for my I9300... which one do you recommend for that, lizardchest? Again, I highly appreciate your advising on this, as I really need my phone to be fixed asap. :)
This one should do. It's hard to recommend based on online reviews, but it looks like if you buy this item from the seller The Cool Cube, most users have had luck. Most likely not a genuine Samsung part. I wish you luck, and let me know how the repair goes! :)

I checked craigslist in my town, quite a few S3's going for around $100-$150. Would you be better off checking craigslist: norge rubrikkannonser for jobber, leiligheter, personalia, til salgs, tjenester, fellesskap og arrangementer

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Ah, excellent. :) How would you say that what TheCoolCube offers compared to this one: Full LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Frame for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 i9300 UK | eBay - Any big differences? TheCoolCube ships from Hong Kong, and if you look at this one, also shipping from HK: White Touch Digitizer LCD Screen Assembly Frame for Samsung SIII I9300 + Film CA | eBay - But...97% out of almost 1m feedback.. hmm...

I am asking about this because I am in sort of a dilemma here... I have provided you a video that shows how my phone is: MAH03016.mp4 Video by shookiemonster | Photobucket - and this is how my screen looks like, if you didn't see it clearly on the video: Bildr.no - So, the dilemma I'm in now, is whether I should just buy another used S3 for $100-150 (yes, I like S3, so that's more than good enough for me) OR should I go for a complete screen + digitizer set (from either of those mentioned above sellers) and try fixing it myself by following the youtube video you provided me? What would you recommend? I should also say that buying a used S3 here in Norway will cost me about $200-250, depending on how lucky I am.... If I buy it in Sweden, which also works, it can be around $150-200... So yeah, thanks again for your valuable advises, and I look forward hearing what you reckon I should do about this. :)

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the first ebay.uk link you provided looks like it will work. Hard to determine trustworthiness on eBay, but the seller was ranked quite high with many sales. If I was you, I would go for it(the repair). I wasn't sure if the i9300 was the mini, but your video looked like it. Your digitizer is definitely shot. Good sign that it powers up and still receives notifications! Like I said, you should have no problem retrieving your data by replacing the digitizer/LCD/glass.

I've been in the same situation, so I'm happy that my experience is able to help someone else. I think that's what these forums should be about. :)

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the first ebay.uk link you provided looks like it will work. Hard to determine trustworthiness on eBay, but the seller was ranked quite high with many sales. If I was you, I would go for it(the repair). I wasn't sure if the i9300 was the mini, but your video looked like it. Your digitizer is definitely shot. Good sign that it powers up and still receives notifications! Like I said, you should have no problem retrieving your data by replacing the digitizer/LCD/glass.

I've been in the same situation, so I'm happy that my experience is able to help someone else. I think that's what these forums should be about. :)

Hmm? I am sorry that I didn't specify that correctly, sir. My bad. But mine is NOT a mini. It's the normal version/size. :)

Ok, so when you say that I should go for the repair, you mean go for the ebay.co.uk one I linked, or the $135+ amazon you linked? Oh, and I read about that seller, and it looks good with many reliable sales before and even recently.

EDIT: Ohhh... first NOW I noticed that the ebay.co.uk was for a MINI... Darn it! So, now I have another question... do I go for the amazon one (the one for $135+) or are there better choices for me through eBay(.co.uk / .com) - What do you reckon? Got any links on what I should go for?

Yeah, but still, thanks for both quick replies AND helpful replies. MUCH appreciated! :)

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
You'd be better off buying local(ebay.co.uk) Just look out for the "Mini" designation!! ;)

Ok, yeah.. was thinking about the same... So, does something like this contain what I need to fix my phone: White For Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 LCD Display Digitizer & Touch Screen & Frame | eBay - Or do you got inputs on that? :)

You'd be better off buying local(ebay.co.uk) Just look out for the "Mini" designation!! ;)

I will definitely do so, yes. :) But, does this contain what I need to fix my phone: White For Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 LCD Display Digitizer & Touch Screen & Frame | eBay - or is there anything else that I need..? :)

Thanks a bunch yet again, mr! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Looks good! It's been awhile since I last did mine, but I believe that is pretty much the replacement I used. Please note the warning in the listing: If you find that the ribbon cable on the digitizer is too short then please make sure that it is threaded through the mid-frame correctly. Do not pull on it to try and make it stretch as the cables are very fragile.
Take your time doing the replacement. Make sure you are not rushed or have an appointment that you need to have the fix done by. Go slow. Be thorough. Don't force anything, everything should go together with minimal force. Watch the video once before you're ready. Then have it on standby so you can go through it as you fix your phone.. Make sure you have all needed tools(looks like adding a pair of tweezers to the kit would be advisable). When you're done, enjoy the feeling of pride! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5FIgWvlmY

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I was just thinking of posting the same thing when I went back to the earlier posts.

@lizardchest

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

<Blush> But, seriously, I've learned more and gotten more help in the forums than I can add back.....(plus it's a nice distraction from work....lol)

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Looks good! It's been awhile since I last did mine, but I believe that is pretty much the replacement I used. Please note the warning in the listing: If you find that the ribbon cable on the digitizer is too short then please make sure that it is threaded through the mid-frame correctly. Do not pull on it to try and make it stretch as the cables are very fragile.
Take your time doing the replacement. Make sure you are not rushed or have an appointment that you need to have the fix done by. Go slow. Be thorough. Don't force anything, everything should go together with minimal force. Watch the video once before you're ready. Then have it on standby so you can go through it as you fix your phone.. Make sure you have all needed tools(looks like adding a pair of tweezers to the kit would be advisable). When you're done, enjoy the feeling of pride! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5FIgWvlmY

I was just thinking of posting the same thing when I went back to the earlier posts.

Wooooh! Ok, I have now ordered that, and I'll see how it turns out. I'll keep you updated on it anyways, in case someone else is encountering this problem in the future. :)

But yeah, I cannot seem to specify it good enough how thankful I am for all your assistance, advises AND help on this! I know I might have asked some pretty dumb questions, but you've been so helpful and kind. Probably one of the most helpful people I've ever encountered on forums and such alike. So yeah, thank you. A BUNCH! :)

@lizardchest

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

I totally second this! Wish I could give more than just a simple "thanks", really....

But yeah, awesome this. Simply awesome. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2