Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default 4.4.2 update messed up charging

OK, here is the full story:
    I have an S3 (so does my wife, but she is having no issues) and recently it updated to the latest software...4.4.2 I think. After that my phone worked fine for a week or so, but now it will not charge correctly.

- I must turn it off completely to get it to charge
    - If it is on, it will charge very, very slowly (1% per 2-3 hrs) or will actually lose charge while plugged in
    - Sometimes it will connect and reconnect when charging from the computer. Will do this 10-12 times or until I unplug and re-plug in. This has even happened to wall plugs, but has not occurred since the factory reset.
    - If I do anything on the phone it will lose charge at an alarming rate (1% per minute roughly.)

I have tried many different fixes as detailed below

- Tried different plugs from different android devices and plugged into a USB instead of the wall
    - Bought a new battery and tried that out for a few days
    - did a factory reset and have since only installed one program - Lookout Security
    - downloaded a battery program (juice defender) but that did not seem to do anything.

I have heard rumors that there is an issue with the latest version of Android and the S3 (and possibly other devices.) Some people have even gotten 2 replacement phones that still have the same issue.

At this point I am not sure what can be done to fix this except get a new phone. I am past the warranty, but accidently bought a warranty from the place I got the phone.

Any thoughts or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: 4.4.2 update messed up charging

Welcome to Android Central! I wonder if there could be a problem with the phone's charging port. But the only way to really tell would be to bring it in to a repair shop.

In the meantime, posting some screenshots of your battery stats would be helpful. Wait until the battery has discharged from full down to about 20%, then show us the main screen, the fullscreen graph (to see Awake time and signal quality), the Screen category (to see the total Screen On time), and the Cell Standby category (to see the Time without Signal).

I can certainly do all of that, but of course I go back to the numerous people out there that are reporting the same issues since the upgrade....

Will get back to you.....

I understand, but it's worth a shot, since it won't harm anything. Who knows, maybe those others reporting the same issue should wipe the cache as well!

Global Posts
    23,934 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

+1 on B. Diddy's idea to wipe cache. [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Derp, I lost track of what I had originally posted, and forgot I hadn't been talking about wiping the cache partition in the first place! But as Golfdriver97 mentioned, it's still something worth trying. Sorry for any confusion!

Wouldn't formatting it back to its factory settings clear any cache that could possibly be in there?

As of now the only things installed on it are the OS (and all the crap that comes with it,) Lookout Security and one game that I installed this morning (needed something to do on the train ride in....)

I went ahead and did it...will let you know if that appreciably changes anything.

Global Posts
    23,934 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by Cubuff25 View Post
    Wouldn't formatting it back to its factory settings clear any cache that could possibly be in there?

As of now the only things installed on it are the OS (and all the crap that comes with it,) Lookout Security and one game that I installed this morning (needed something to do on the train ride in....)

I went ahead and did it...will let you know if that appreciably changes anything.
    You are right in your thinking about a reset clearing the cache. I have seen and heard about the occasional instance where it doesn't work that way.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry