Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question
    AC Question's Avatar
    Guest

    Question Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    So I am freaking out, and I hope you can tell me I accidentally triggered some feature on my phone and that I'm not being messed with by some hacker. Here's my story:

    I'll start by saying my phone is a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and it was updated as much as verizon allowed it to 4.2.2.

    Yesterday my wife and I were having a conversation about the definition of the word "listen". Why we were having the conversation really isn't important, but what happened after has me very concerned. The next time my phone chimes to let me know I have an email, a male voice comes immediately after saying the word "listen". The first time I heard it I didn't know where it was coming from, but after the second chime I realized, IT'S COMING FROM MY PHONE!!!!

    I couldn't find any sound on my phone that had this voice, and now I wish I had recorded it, but I was so freaked I just reacted. I wrote an email to myself/potential spies reading/listening in to "stop spying on me" then I reset my phone a couple times and the voice was still there with the chime. I reset my phone again and the voice is gone, but I'm too freaked out so I factory reset my phone.

    So, do you think there was some hacker listening in on our conversation and thought it would be funny to somehow add that "listen" to my phone's chime, or by saying "listen" repeatedly within earshot of my phone did we somehow trigger some sort of feature on the phone?

    I've never heard of this happening and can't find any google searches about it. The only app that was on my phone that seems remotely related to voice activation was google "talk back" which installed itself in an update at some point, but I never turned on. Could it be that?

    Anyways, I hope you can shed some light on this because like I said, I'm freaking out.

    Nate
  2. #2  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,677 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    So I am freaking out, and I hope you can tell me I accidentally triggered some feature on my phone and that I'm not being messed with by some hacker. Here's my story:

    I'll start by saying my phone is a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and it was updated as much as verizon allowed it to 4.2.2.

    Yesterday my wife and I were having a conversation about the definition of the word "listen". Why we were having the conversation really isn't important, but what happened after has me very concerned. The next time my phone chimes to let me know I have an email, a male voice comes immediately after saying the word "listen". The first time I heard it I didn't know where it was coming from, but after the second chime I realized, IT'S COMING FROM MY PHONE!!!!

    I couldn't find any sound on my phone that had this voice, and now I wish I had recorded it, but I was so freaked I just reacted. I wrote an email to myself/potential spies reading/listening in to "stop spying on me" then I reset my phone a couple times and the voice was still there with the chime. I reset my phone again and the voice is gone, but I'm too freaked out so I factory reset my phone.

    So, do you think there was some hacker listening in on our conversation and thought it would be funny to somehow add that "listen" to my phone's chime, or by saying "listen" repeatedly within earshot of my phone did we somehow trigger some sort of feature on the phone?

    I've never heard of this happening and can't find any google searches about it. The only app that was on my phone that seems remotely related to voice activation was google "talk back" which installed itself in an update at some point, but I never turned on. Could it be that?

    Anyways, I hope you can shed some light on this because like I said, I'm freaking out.

    Nate
    Hello, so when you heard this sound, it came from an email notification?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Hello, so when you heard this sound, it came from an email notification?
    My phone would make the normal email sound, which was a generic google hang outs ding, then a male voice saying "listen" in a calm voice. I looked into the settings of my mail and tested the notification sound again, there was nothing after it, but when an email came in it was ding, then say "listen" right after the ding. I really wish I had recorded it now.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Yungkans View Post
    My phone would make the normal email sound, which was a generic google hang outs ding, then a male voice saying "listen" in a calm voice. I looked into the settings of my mail and tested the notification sound again, there was nothing after it, but when an email came in it was ding, then say "listen" right after the ding. I really wish I had recorded it now.
    Has it done it since the last time it said "listen" to you?
  5. #5  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,677 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Yungkans View Post
    My phone would make the normal email sound, which was a generic google hang outs ding, then a male voice saying "listen" in a calm voice. I looked into the settings of my mail and tested the notification sound again, there was nothing after it, but when an email came in it was ding, then say "listen" right after the ding. I really wish I had recorded it now.
    I'm not sure you could have recorded it since you didn't expect that to happen. What email client are you using?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Has it done it since the last time it said "listen" to you?
    I freaked out and factory reset my phone.....
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Yungkans View Post
    I freaked out and factory reset my phone.....
    It hasn't done it since then (or since you posted here)?

    As wizzrah asked, which email client were you using?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    I'm not sure you could have recorded it since you didn't expect that to happen. What email client are you using?
    the standard gmail client.

    No way did I record that. It wasn't my voice and it was a very clean sound file. It started and stopped at the ends of the word and it was a very clear and intentional voice. Like reading a dictionary...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!

    I'm so stupid...

    I had looked up the definition of "listen" in my phone. I'm such an *****. Through some glitch it must have been playing the definition sound with every sound my phone made. I just went back and looked up the definition and hit the speaker to speak the word. That's the voice.... sigh... i'm such an *****.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Glad the problem was solved
  10. #10  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,677 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Yungkans View Post
    the standard gmail client.

    No way did I record that. It wasn't my voice and it was a very clean sound file. It started and stopped at the ends of the word and it was a very clear and intentional voice. Like reading a dictionary...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!

    I'm so stupid...

    I had looked up the definition of "listen" in my phone. I'm such an *****. Through some glitch it must have been playing the definition sound with every sound my phone made. I just went back and looked up the definition and hit the speaker to speak the word. That's the voice.... sigh... i'm such an *****.
    It might have been the Google Now voice reading a definition? :P I guess that was it then.
    VDub2174 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    thanks for responding guys... even though I feel like a complete fool now.... sad face
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    No worries
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Mysterious feature, or was my phone hacked?

    but you did treat us to a fun read.
    Thanks....

Similar Threads

  1. Phone Addiction
    By strickforce in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 04:06 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 08:14 AM
  3. Stock KitKat phone app.
    By twstrickland in forum LG G3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 09:53 PM
  4. Phone hangs up then won't open again. What should I do?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 08:59 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions