Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Question Newbie GPS Question for Galaxy S4 Mini

Ok, so I just got this thing a few days ago. A lot of it is fairly intuitive but some of it is still sort of obscure to me. First of all, one of the reasons I got this is to use GPS, as my old flip phone obviously didn't have that.

* Looking on all the tutorials online, when they swipe down the notifications bar, there is "GPS" icon there with the "Wifi" icon, etc. On mine there is no GPS icon at all. None of the tutorials I have seen say how to get this icon there so that it can be turned on and off. There are also other icons that other people seem to have that are not present. How do you get that icon in your notification bar?

* Also, most of the tutorials say to go into "Location services" and turn them on. Then when they click on "Location services" there are a lot of options that simply aren't present in my screen, which just says "Mode" which is set to "high accuracy" and then some things under "recent location requests". Most tutorials I have seen on the subject show "Access to my location" at the top and then "Location sources", under which are various checks for "VZW location services", "standalone GPS services" and "wi-fi & mobile network locations". NONE of that is there on my phone. Why is that?

* I seem to have basic location abilities if I go into my apps and select either "Maps" (most basic, it seems) or "Your Navigator", however if I use "Navigate", it tells me "GPS not available" at the bottom. What does that mean? Is the latter notification of GPS just because of my location or because the signal is weak or something? I'm a bit confused here.

If anybody should shed light on these three points, I'd be really grateful!

Default Re: Newbie GPS Question for Galaxy S4 Mini

Make sure your phone isn't on Easy Mode, which might be hiding some of these more detailed settings: For the beginner: How to set the Galaxy S 4 to Easy Mode | TalkAndroid.com

The GPS icon can look different depending on the phone. Look for a little pin icon with a dot in it, or a something like a crosshairs.