Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question SD Card, what are these files????

i have a Samsung S5 and i only have my music(.mp3)files, photo (.jpeg)files, and my videos(.mp4)files saved to it..Although I have a **** load of files that look like 2 white sheets of paper with a series of numbers after them. If I click on the files it say, "No apps can perform this action.". what are these files and can they be safely deleted???

Default Re: SD Card, what are these files????

I wouldn't delete them. They're probably log files of some sort for various apps that can utilize the external SD card. Are they big files?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have no idea how big they are? , i canT open them at all.. I dont have any apps on my sd card so why would they be log files of apps? Like i said, i only have photos,videos, and music on my sd card
    Quote Originally Posted by b. Diddy View Post
    i wouldn't delete them. They're probably log files of some sort for various apps that can utilize the external sd card. Are they big files?

Quote Originally Posted by elykoj View Post
    I have no idea how big they are? , i canT open them at all.. I dont have any apps on my sd card so why would they be log files of apps? Like i said, i only have photos,videos, and music on my sd card
    Apps are able to write to the SD card storage, though they should be restricted to a directory that is built during app installation, and generally apps will use internal storage over SD storage.

We would need to know more about the files in question...

1. the description of "two white sheets of paper" refers to an icon for the file that would be generated by a file explorer (I'm assuming). It sounds like a generic file icon, but it may help to know what file explorer you're using to view these files.

2. Are the files on the root of the SD card, or are they in a folder(s)?

3. Do the files have extensions at the end of the file name? (i.e. ".log" or ".txt" or ".doc")

4. To see the file sizes, if you're using a file explorer in Android, generally you hold down on a file you can choose "properties" to see additional info, including the size of the file.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by elykoj View Post
    Plug the phone into your computer. Open up the file manager and look for the SD card. See if you are able to find those files and let us know under what directory/folder they are in.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I ended up just deleting them, everything appears to still be working fine..no hiccups in music,photos,videos , or apps.

I was viewing them with the "MY FILES" app and then choosing SD CARD.

These files were not in any folders, just sitting on the SD CARD.

They did not have any extensions at end of file name.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Apps are able to write to the SD card storage, though they should be restricted to a directory that is built during app installation, and generally apps will use internal storage over SD storage.

We would need to know more about the files in question...

1. the description of "two white sheets of paper" refers to an icon for the file that would be generated by a file explorer (I'm assuming). It sounds like a generic file icon, but it may help to know what file explorer you're using to view these files.

2. Are the files on the root of the SD card, or are they in a folder(s)?

3. Do the files have extensions at the end of the file name? (i.e. ".log" or ".txt" or ".doc")

4. To see the file sizes, if you're using a file explorer in Android, generally you hold down on a file you can choose "properties" to see additional info, including the size of the file.