Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By partymonster
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Replace Shortcut Icon

I have a shortcut to my website on the desktop of my Samsung Galaxy S3. Is it possible to change out the icon with a custom icon I made, and retain the functionality of accessing the website?

Thank you.

Default Re: Replace Shortcut Icon

It is by using a custom launcher, such as Nova. Even the free version lets you change the icon. Also, Elixir Widgets will allow you to do it without changing your launcher.

Hmmm...I'm using Nova. Can you point to a link which explains?

Thank you.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by partymonster View Post
    Hmmm...I'm using Nova. Can you point to a link which explains?

Thank you.

Bill
    Long press desired icon> edit> click on icons picture>choose from gallery/built-in/or press the menu icon on the top left to get more theme packs.

It looks like the website's "favicon" is displayed by default. You need to create a proper favicon and upload it to your website's index folder. Google "favicon" for details.

The website is mine, and I have uploaded a favicon with a transparent background. However, when I create the shortcut on my desktop, the transparency is gone. Bill Gannon "You're not bad for a one man band!"

The website is mine, and I have uploaded a favicon with a transparent background. However, when I create the shortcut on my desktop, the transparency is gone. Bill Gannon "You're not bad for a one man band!"
    If I long press an empty spot on my home screen, add shortcut> bookmark, I can change the image. Are you adding it that way? Or from the browser? Might make a difference on whether or not you're able to change the image icon displayed.... let me know if it works!

Moved my custom icons to a sub-directory in my DCIM directory, then, long pressed on the shortcut, and was able to navigate to the folder with the preferred icon, and substitute it for the stock one Thanks you so much, everyone.

Bill

Moved my custom icons to a sub-directory in my DCIM directory, then, long pressed on the shortcut, and was able to navigate to the folder with the preferred icon, and substitute it for the stock one Thanks you so much, everyone.

Bill
    You should do web developers everywhere a favor and report the favicon bug to Google's android development team. Loss of transparency shouldn't happen.

Not to drag this on, but thought you'd be interested to see this. Background looks transparent. ..
    Replace Shortcut Icon-screenshot_2014-07-26-15-55-54.png
    Unless you meant the green behind the shamrock, but I assume you meant the square border.

Thanks.That's a newer one, which seems to do fine. The original downloaded with a white border, even though it was saved with the transparency intact. This is the custom one I made.Replace Shortcut Icon-screenshot_2014-07-27-12-48-08.png
    lizardchest likes this.