Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung S3 screen black

I dropped my Samsung S3 and it landed on the upper right corner. At frist the screen was slightly discolored on that coner, but everything worked fine otherwise. I put the phone to sleep and set it down. I received a call and when I picked it up the upper half of the screen was discolored and a little dark. When I got off the phone about 5 minutes later, I could only see a thin line illuminated on the right side of he screen. By the next day, it was completely black. I can perform some functions because I know where the buttons are and I am can still recieve phone calls and notifications. The led lights are working, it vibrates, and everything seems to work just fine except the screen. I have insurance to get a new one, but it is $200. It doesn't make sense for me to do that because Alltel is switching to At&t here in September (ish) and I will get a new phone then. Is there any way I can fix the phone to be "good enough" for the next couple of months? (Inexpensively)

Default Re: Samsung S3 screen black

Welcome to Android Central! The screen has been damaged, probably irreversibly. Corner impacts can be pretty severe, since all of the force of the impact is concentrating in one area, as opposed to spreading evenly over a flat surface. You could bring it to a local cellphone repair shop to get a quote for screen replacement, but the cost might be about the same as your insurance deductible.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yea Samsung said it would be around $178. I have looked up the parts so I could attempt to do it myself. If I was to buy the screen and digitizer for like $30 rather than the whole front assembly with lcd for like 100 would I just be making my phone a prettier, uncracked non functioning phone?Or is it possible that may fix the problem?

Difficult to say, sorry!