Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please enlighten me

Okay, just really need an answer for this one. Sorry if it may be a silly question. Anyway, why do calendar apps like Solcalendar, aCalendar and Digical need the Google Calendar app to be installed within the same mobile device to be able to sync with Google Calendar app in the desktop or generally the Google account itself. If someone would be able to give me an answer on this one, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Please enlighten me

I can't speak to these in particular, but all Android/iOS (and PalmOS before that) apps to a greater or lesser extant merely act as pretty front-ends to existing services which are actually provided by the operating system and/or system apps. Music players, for example, don't play music at all - they just call standard operating system subroutines to do so.

So, I would not be surprised to learn that the apps you mention rely on Google's own calendar for the actual sync services; it sounds like these apps simply take the data file created by the Google Calendar and then give you a different user interface to it.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I can't speak to these in particular, but all Android/iOS (and PalmOS before that) apps to a greater or lesser extant merely act as pretty front-ends to existing services which are actually provided by the operating system and/or system apps. Music players, for example, don't play music at all - they just call standard operating system subroutines to do so.

So, I would not be surprised to learn that the apps you mention rely on Google's own calendar for the actual sync services; it sounds like these apps simply take the data file created by the Google Calendar and then give you a different user interface to it.
    I see and do get your point. However the app Sunrise Calendar syncs well with the Google Calendar in the desktop without the need of the Google Calendar app in the device. So that's what kinda got me confused. I mean isn't that what users want, to be able to sync with their Google account without the need of the stock calendar installed.

Global Posts
    22,220 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cruz View Post
    I see and do get your point. However the app Sunrise Calendar syncs well with the Google Calendar in the desktop without the need of the Google Calendar app in the device. So that's what kinda got me confused. I mean isn't that what users want, to be able to sync with their Google account without the need of the stock calendar installed.
    I am only guessing here, but it might be an added difficulty to have the app independently sync without the need for the Google Calendar to be present.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I am only guessing here, but it might be an added difficulty to have the app independently sync without the need for the Google Calendar to be present.
    I guess that makes sense. Kudos to the developers of Sunrise Calendar then, too bad they still need to work on their UI. Google's calendar app is only slightly better looking.I had asked this in Solcalendar's G+ yet no one responded. Anyway, I really just wanted to know if the Google Calendar app must be installed for sync to work or my sync was probably broken. So I guess the app must be installed. Thank you.