Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AllyMartin
  • 1 Post By AllyMartin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Exclamation Galaxy S5 screen crashed, is completely black and cannot use the phone. Help please.

The screen simply disappeared while I was watching a video I took earlier (so it's not a virus). The video kept playing but the screen was dead - black. I've tried removing the battery and the SIM card but the screen still doesn't lit up. When turning the phone on after removing the battery, it does turn on - I can hear all the sounds and the light indicator goes off but not the actual screen. In another word I cannot use my phone for anything.
    Went to Sprint, my provider, but unfortunately they didn't even try to determine what the issue was, they simply wanted to give me a new phone. For a fee, of course. I'll deal with Sprint later but at this time my only concern is the fact that I have 1000+ pics that I was told cannot be retrieved and I am totally devastated. Needles to say, this is unacceptable for a brand new phone. Anybody with a suggestion out there? Thanks.

Default Re: Galaxy S5 screen crashed, is completely black and cannot use the phone. Help please.

Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, defects do occur, and it's possible the screen just failed. How new is the phone? If Sprint won't replace it, you should be able to get a replacement under warranty from Samsung.

Are you able to boot into Recovery Mode and wipe the cache partition? Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support

Exclamation Re: Galaxy S5 screen crashed, is completely black and cannot use the phone. Help please.

Thanks for the reply. The phone is 3 months old, fairly new and Sprint is willing to replace it but I was told I will not be able to retrieve any of the photos. That is the most devastating thing.

I've tried the recovery mode you suggested, unfortunately it didn't work, the screen simply remains black.

Default Re: Galaxy S5 screen crashed, is completely black and cannot use the phone. Help please.

The photos are stored in the Internal Storage, and not on the external SD?

Give this a try: A quick guide to accessing a locked phone with a cracked screen

I was lucky enough to find a Sprint tech who knew how to and was willing to replace just the screen on my phone. All the photos were intact as well as the rest of the data. Needles to say I'm thrilled but wanted to thank you for finding time to respond to my problem.
    B. Diddy likes this.

That's great to hear! May I suggest turning Google+ Auto Backup on, so that all of your photos get immediately backed up to your Google+ albums as soon as you take them? You can always delete the ones that you don't want later. Otherwise, make it a habit to back up your photos some other way--you can see how easily a device can be rendered useless, and if you have tons of important memories stored only on that phone, it can be heartbreaking.

Great advice. Will definitely do it. Thank you.
    B. Diddy likes this.