battery dropping to around 92% while the phone is trun off

A

AC Question

i started to have the following issue with my phone: i charge it up to 100% while its completely off, then if i turn on after a few hours it says it has around 92%(i even removed the battery but even if the battery removed i still have the issue), but if i charge to 100% then immediatly turn back on it says it is 100%. So this is the trickle charge thing? or do i have a defective battery or a defective charger?
btw my phone is a Galaxy S3 mini.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Could you send a screenshot showing your battery usage statistics after the battery has lost charge in that way? That will help to identify the cause.

Posted via Android Central App

7orly7

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Could you send a screenshot showing your battery usage statistics after the battery has lost charge in that way? That will help to identify the cause.
Screenshot_2014-07-28-15-57-45[1].png
Screenshot_2014-07-28-15-58-37[1].png

a weird thing happened: i charged up to 100% turn it on (battery was showing 100%), then restarted. the battery dropped to 92%. I guess my phone may not be charging to 100% and the battery gauge is "lying"(trickle charge?) or maybe is my battery aging?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-28-15-57-31[1].png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-15-57-31[1].png
    371.4 KB · Views: 10

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I now see that you are a new member, so Welcome!
Thank you for the screenshots. In battery usage, you seem to be downloading something...Archos Video and Mídia? But Screen heads the list which is normal and a good sign.
In your position, my next step would be to enter Settings, Apps, Cached Data, and clear the cache. I would then enter Recovery Mode and execute a System Cache Partition Wipe. Having 'cleaned' the device, I would continue from there...I doubt that doing those things will solve the problem, but it will be a good point from which to consider what to do next.

7orly7

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the advice, i didn't knew about System Cache Partition trick. i did it now and when it rebooted my battery dropped down to 96% (was 100% when i started the process).
BTW i wasnt downloading anything, i guess when the phone turns on archos video player scans my lybrary.
thanks again for the tip.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, I ought to have been saying Cache Partition, not System Cache Partition.
Anyway, a drop to 96% is a small improvement, but not as good as we could wish. It may simply be a harmless but annoying fault with the battery charge metering.

7orly7

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Okay another weird thing happened:
i charged my phone to 100%, then i turned it on it showed 92%.
i turn it off and did the "clearing the cache partition" thing.
rebooted.
phone showed 93% batttery. o_O

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Due keep in mind simply booting the phone will knock a few precents off the battery as the booting process is working the processor and all at a high rate. Not uncommon to charge up and quickly see a phone drop to 95, 93 or 92 percent rather quickly

7orly7

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Due keep in mind simply booting the phone will knock a few precents off the battery as the booting process is working the processor and all at a high rate. Not uncommon to charge up and quickly see a phone drop to 95, 93 or 92 percent rather quickly
thanks for the info, but i don't think it's that since I only started to have this issue now (around 7 months with this phone).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Okay another weird thing happened:
i charged my phone to 100%, then i turned it on it showed 92%.
i turn it off and did the "clearing the cache partition" thing.
rebooted.
phone showed 93% batttery. o_O

Clearing the Cache Partition will also use battery, so perhaps 92% was a false reading.
Regarding how often to do it: I'm afraid I don't know. It's something I only do when I encounter a problem. I believe it's regarded as harmless (as long as you do NOT accidentally press a wrong button and perform a Factory Reset!) so I guess you can choose that yourself.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I clear my cache about once per month. Haven't run into any problems doing that.

The battery drops even if you leave the phone on? (Trying to eliminate the drop from rebooting, like Paul627 suggested)

The only other thing I see that is kinda questionable, is your volts. They seem a little high. I am curious if your battery is starting to go bad.

7orly7

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I clear my cache about once per month. Haven't run into any problems doing that.

The battery drops even if you leave the phone on? (Trying to eliminate the drop from rebooting, like Paul627 suggested)

The only other thing I see that is kinda questionable, is your volts. They seem a little high. I am curious if your battery is starting to go bad.
ill try to keep my phone on while with 100% battery and see what happens. But im starting to think that is the battery "dying" since lithium-ion batteries age over time.

7orly7

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site

i left the phone idle and the battery dropped to 95% and stayed there. iguess is the battery losing capacity because of aging, so there's nothing i can do about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2