Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By belodion
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Question battery dropping to around 92% while the phone is trun off

i started to have the following issue with my phone: i charge it up to 100% while its completely off, then if i turn on after a few hours it says it has around 92%(i even removed the battery but even if the battery removed i still have the issue), but if i charge to 100% then immediatly turn back on it says it is 100%. So this is the trickle charge thing? or do i have a defective battery or a defective charger?
    btw my phone is a Galaxy S3 mini.

Default Re: battery dropping to around 92% while the phone is trun off

Could you send a screenshot showing your battery usage statistics after the battery has lost charge in that way? That will help to identify the cause.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Could you send a screenshot showing your battery usage statistics after the battery has lost charge in that way? That will help to identify the cause.
    battery dropping to around 92% while the phone is trun off-screenshot_2014-07-28-15-57-45-1-.png
    battery dropping to around 92% while the phone is trun off-screenshot_2014-07-28-15-58-37-1-.png

a weird thing happened: i charged up to 100% turn it on (battery was showing 100%), then restarted. the battery dropped to 92%. I guess my phone may not be charging to 100% and the battery gauge is "lying"(trickle charge?) or maybe is my battery aging?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails battery dropping to around 92% while the phone is trun off-screenshot_2014-07-28-15-57-31-1-.png  

I now see that you are a new member, so Welcome!
    Thank you for the screenshots. In battery usage, you seem to be downloading something...Archos Video and Mídia? But Screen heads the list which is normal and a good sign.
    In your position, my next step would be to enter Settings, Apps, Cached Data, and clear the cache. I would then enter Recovery Mode and execute a System Cache Partition Wipe. Having 'cleaned' the device, I would continue from there...I doubt that doing those things will solve the problem, but it will be a good point from which to consider what to do next.

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Forgive me if you already know how to wipe the System Cache Partition, but if you're not sure, here is a guide:

http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung-g...#axzz38nQ2T0VZ

thanks for the advice, i didn't knew about System Cache Partition trick. i did it now and when it rebooted my battery dropped down to 96% (was 100% when i started the process).
    BTW i wasnt downloading anything, i guess when the phone turns on archos video player scans my lybrary.
    thanks again for the tip.

I'm sorry, I ought to have been saying Cache Partition, not System Cache Partition.
    Anyway, a drop to 96% is a small improvement, but not as good as we could wish. It may simply be a harmless but annoying fault with the battery charge metering.

...How long does it take to drop from 100% to 92% or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    ...How long does it take to drop from 100% to 92% or whatever?

i think is instantly since when it was 100% when i restarted the phone, and guess what? The battery was showing 92%.
    ill keep observing my phone and see if it improves.

oh and BTW how often is recommended to wipe cache partition?

Okay another weird thing happened:
    i charged my phone to 100%, then i turned it on it showed 92%.
    i turn it off and did the "clearing the cache partition" thing.
    rebooted.
    phone showed 93% batttery. O.o

Due keep in mind simply booting the phone will knock a few precents off the battery as the booting process is working the processor and all at a high rate. Not uncommon to charge up and quickly see a phone drop to 95, 93 or 92 percent rather quickly
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Due keep in mind simply booting the phone will knock a few precents off the battery as the booting process is working the processor and all at a high rate. Not uncommon to charge up and quickly see a phone drop to 95, 93 or 92 percent rather quickly
    thanks for the info, but i don't think it's that since I only started to have this issue now (around 7 months with this phone).

Quote Originally Posted by 7orly7 View Post
    Okay another weird thing happened:
    i charged my phone to 100%, then i turned it on it showed 92%.
    i turn it off and did the "clearing the cache partition" thing.
    rebooted.
    phone showed 93% batttery. O.o
    Clearing the Cache Partition will also use battery, so perhaps 92% was a false reading.
    Regarding how often to do it: I'm afraid I don't know. It's something I only do when I encounter a problem. I believe it's regarded as harmless (as long as you do NOT accidentally press a wrong button and perform a Factory Reset!) so I guess you can choose that yourself.

Global Posts
    22,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I clear my cache about once per month. Haven't run into any problems doing that.

The battery drops even if you leave the phone on? (Trying to eliminate the drop from rebooting, like Paul627 suggested)

The only other thing I see that is kinda questionable, is your volts. They seem a little high. I am curious if your battery is starting to go bad.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I clear my cache about once per month. Haven't run into any problems doing that.

The battery drops even if you leave the phone on? (Trying to eliminate the drop from rebooting, like Paul627 suggested)

The only other thing I see that is kinda questionable, is your volts. They seem a little high. I am curious if your battery is starting to go bad.
    ill try to keep my phone on while with 100% battery and see what happens. But im starting to think that is the battery "dying" since lithium-ion batteries age over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post

i left the phone idle and the battery dropped to 95% and stayed there. iguess is the battery losing capacity because of aging, so there's nothing i can do about it.