Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Samsung galaxy s3 : Why is GPS not accurate?

I thought the whole point of GPS was that it be accurate?

I have attempted to use the GPS coupled with google maps to find my way around an unfamiliar part of town, but it is extremely frustrating in that it only tells you the general location, not your exact location. You get a blue dot that is SOMEWHERE in your vicinity. Which really does not help when you are trying to figure out whether you should turn right or left at the current intersection. You cant seem to view street view either, so you cant match up the gray boxes with what you see on the street.

Its even worse when you are taking the bus, because the GPS updates so slow that it is several stops behind your actual location. I was looking at the map trying to figure out when i should be getting off the bus, but it was useless because the map was showing me several bus stops behind my actual location. So i had no choice but to look around and guess when i was supposed to alight, because by the time the map showed me at the bus stop i wanted to alight at, i would have overshot it by 10+ blocks. In effect, it was no better than simply not using the GPS.

Is this some sort of issue with android, the samsung S3 or something else?

Default Re: Samsung galaxy s3 : Why is GPS not accurate?

Did you recently install the Android software update? I installed it a week ago and Google Maps hasn't worked since. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Verizon and they said that Google Maps is not compatible with the update.

Default Re: Samsung galaxy s3 : Why is GPS not accurate?

Nope, this has been happening for ages.