Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Question Replace iOS with Android

I have a new project (to me). I want to completely replace the iOS on my iPod Touch with a version of Android.

First off is this possible? If it is please help me.

To confirm I want to completely remove the iOS software and replace it with Android.

Global Posts
    20,739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Replace iOS with Android

I don't think this is possible.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

From a novelty perspective I can see why this is desirable. From a time investment it's probably more effective to work enough to buy something that already has Android on it and will work as a media player.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

There is no easy way to do this. Anything is possible, but it would probably cost more than say picking up a $70 Verizon moto g no contract. Also, even when done, it might not operate smoothly either.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I don't think this is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    From a novelty perspective I can see why this is desirable. From a time investment it's probably more effective to work enough to buy something that already has Android on it and will work as a media player.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    There is no easy way to do this. Anything is possible, but it would probably cost more than say picking up a $70 Verizon moto g no contract. Also, even when done, it might not operate smoothly either.

Yeah, I mean, given that Android is open source, theoretically I suppose it *could* be possible, but in reality it really isn't. The problem is the drivers for the hardware (which I can only assume are NOT published) would be pretty much impossible to integrate into the source, so you'd have a hell of time just getting the device to boot.

Here is my scenario.

At my work we are creating a new ticketing program that prints QR codes instead of tickets for passengers. The iPhones we have suck and we need replacements (two dont connect to wifi at all). I have the Samsung Galaxy S5 that runs the scanning app just fine never has issues.

I guess if turning the iPods into andriods wont work, then who offers a WiFi only device that is running Android? We dont want to go out and buy a phone plan with 5 smartphones when all we need is the WiFi.

Welcome to Android Central! I think Samsung still makes some Galaxy Players, which are essentially like a Galaxy S type phone without the phone. But those are still a little pricey. As mentioned above, you might consider getting some Moto G's or Moto E's, and only use them as wi-fi devices. I think you can skip the wireless service activation screen. dpham00 might be able to give you more information on that, since I think he got a prepaid Moto G on Verizon, which he only uses on wi-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Das Boom View Post
    Here is my scenario.

At my work we are creating a new ticketing program that prints QR codes instead of tickets for passengers. The iPhones we have suck and we need replacements (two dont connect to wifi at all). I have the Samsung Galaxy S5 that runs the scanning app just fine never has issues.

I guess if turning the iPods into andriods wont work, then who offers a WiFi only device that is running Android? We dont want to go out and buy a phone plan with 5 smartphones when all we need is the WiFi.
    I would recommend the Verizon moto g again. I paid $50 for it when on sale though now I think it is around $70. You can bypass activation and wifi, gps, and Bluetooth work perfectly fine. You can also get tablets, I picked up the lg g pad 8.3 for $100 used, though you can get cheaper. Just make sure to get a quality one.

B. Diddy likes this.