Verizon Galaxy Note 2 GPS only working in Canada.

Gary972

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted Samung Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon running Android 4.1.2 with the Jedi XV12 Rom.

I have a problem i cannot figure out and have searched many forums.
In the US, while on the Verizon Network, i get no GPS. I've downloaded GPS Test plus, and no satellites are in view.
However, as soon a i cross the border into Canada, and am roaming, it picks up 30+ satellites and GPS works fine.

I've tried many fixes, including TopNTP, but nothing makes a difference.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is Verizon is somehow blocking it, but I thought the GPS signal was separate from the wireless one, omnipresent, so really have no idea ...

Cheers

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted Samung Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon running Android 4.1.2 with the Jedi XV12 Rom.

I have a problem i cannot figure out and have searched many forums.
In the US, while on the Verizon Network, i get no GPS. I've downloaded GPS Test plus, and no satellites are in view.
However, as soon a i cross the border into Canada, and am roaming, it picks up 30+ satellites and GPS works fine.

I've tried many fixes, including TopNTP, but nothing makes a difference.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is Verizon is somehow blocking it, but I thought the GPS signal was separate from the wireless one, omnipresent, so really have no idea ...

Cheers

That's strange. Sounds like an issue on Verizon's side if roaming on other carriers is working. Can you use everything else without a problem?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep, everthing else, calls, messages, data works on Verizon and when roaming. Just the GPS won't work on Verizon.....
Hmm...I'd head into a carrier store or call their tech support to see if they are having any issues on their side. I don't see how it could be your phone if it's fine on other carriers. How long since this started happening?

Gary972

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm...I'd head into a carrier store or call their tech support to see if they are having any issues on their side. I don't see how it could be your phone if it's fine on other carriers. How long since this started happening?

Oh it's been like this for about a year now... I thought i would be able to solve it, but I now admit defeat to the Android gods.....

Gary972

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow...did it start happening after a certain update? Maybe after flashing a ROM?

I'm not sure, but it could have been after i flashed the Jedi Rom.... At some point i was going to try returning to stock, but haven't had the opportunity.
More than that, I would love to figure out intellectually, what could be causing it...... :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure, but it could have been after i flashed the Jedi Rom.... At some point i was going to try returning to stock, but haven't had the opportunity.
More than that, I would love to figure out intellectually, what could be causing it...... :)
Well if it was after the ROM flash then I'd assume that it's a bug in said ROM that messes up your GPS signal? Still not sure why it would be exclusive to Verizon, but it would be worth a try to go back to stock or at least a different ROM to see if it works again.

Gary972

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Well if it was after the ROM flash then I'd assume that it's a bug in said ROM that messes up your GPS signal? Still not sure why it would be exclusive to Verizon, but it would be worth a try to go back to stock or at least a different ROM to see if it works again.

Yes, that was it. I restored to my stock Verizon backup and GPS is working fine. Must be something with the ROM. Very strange....

Any recommendations on the best ROMS for Galaxy Note 2 that have GPS working? :) I was planning on trying the new liquidsmooth but was worried by some of the comments claiming GPS problems.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that was it. I restored to my stock Verizon backup and GPS is working fine. Must be something with the ROM. Very strange....

Any recommendations on the best ROMS for Galaxy Note 2 that have GPS working? :) I was planning on trying the new liquidsmooth but was worried by some of the comments claiming GPS problems.

Woohoo! Glad it's working again :D
You can just make another nandroid and try out different ROMs. I don't think GPS would be a common issue amongst the ROMs.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2