Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By VidJunky
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Deny Permission on Android

Hello guys, I am new to the Android world and I would like to know how can I prevent certain permissions on apps?

For example; I do not want Facebook to see my Texts, etc... Can I do that without rooting my phone. I just recently bought the OnePlus phone.
    Sorry for the anonymous post, but I am in a hurry. I will join this forum shortly afterwards!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    AC Question

Default Permissions

Hey guys,im new to android and im really worried about some apps permission.Im afraid to download any app because of permissions like read phone state and similar.I read that it is safe to download apps and games that are downloaded by a lot of people and rated high but still im paranoid.Any help?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    AC Question

Default Permissions second question :D

So basicaly i am safe to download apps that are popular and highly rated?
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Permissions second question :D

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    So basicaly i am safe to download apps that are popular and highly rated?
    Yes.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Default Re: Permissions

Sorry to hear about your apprehension with downloading apps. What one feels comfortable with may be completely different for another and I understand your reluctance to accept everything at face value. That being said here are my rules for installing apps and perhaps you can use some of them to feel more comfortable or tweak them to better fit you.

1. Install no app with a rating of less then 3.5 stars.
    3.5 stars may sound low but if you look at an app and just as many people gave it 1 star as gave it 5 stars that's not an app you will probably want.

2. Read the comments and reviews for the app.
    When I say read the comments and reviews for the app I mean read the 1 and 2 star reviews. Not all of the devs that put out apps are as reputable as one would like and there are always accusations of review fixes. By reading the low rated reviews you will see what people don't like or think is wrong with the app. No one posts bad reviews to boost app downloads. Beware though people can be hateful and rate app poorly because they don't work on their device even when the dev clearly states in the description that it won't work on this device or that one.

3. Use apps that are dev'd by the service over other dev's.
    If you want to use an app by 4Square, for example, download the app from 4Square not joesmoe. Usually the app from the provider is the best anyway.

4. Take a minute to read the description of the app.
    Often if the dev has known issues with devices they will recommend that people with those devices do not use their app. Most good dev's will give full rich descriptions of their app so you know what to expect.

5. Finally talk to your friends about apps (AND) don't be first.
    These two go hand in hand and are interchangeable. It goes back to #1 and #2. Your friends on android are a great resource for finding good apps. Let others take the risk, that you are hesitant to, and learn from their experiences. If the app has only been downloaded 300 times there isn't much to base an opinion on. Low download numbers mean fewer reviewers and more slant on the rating.

Having said all of this I would also like to point out that Android is a sandboxed OS. This means it is far less likely to fall victim to viruses. If you want to know about an app search the forum or post a question.

GL and welcome to Android and AndroidCentral.
    UJ95x and Aquila like this.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

Default Re: Deny Permission on Android

How I miss App Ops.... *very long sigh*

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app