Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Exclamation How to change Hangouts name in contacts?

How do i change the hangouts name in contacts. For example when I merge hangouts with SMS it displays my Dad's email rather than the name Dad as I have it saved in contacts?

Global Posts
    8,744 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: How to change Hangouts name in contacts?

When you are in that Hangout, does it have an option in the bottom left to change from SMS to e-mail?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    When you are in that Hangout, does it have an option in the bottom left to change from SMS to e-mail?
    Yeah it does. What I am trying to achieve is the list of hangouts showing the correct name. If I unmerge it shows as Dad, however when merge it just lists as his email.

I was hoping this was like iMessage, but seems to be far from it? What is even crazier, is if I choose my Dad to send a hangout from the computer it shows it up as Dad, rather than email?

Global Posts
    8,744 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Riscon View Post
    Yeah it does. What I am trying to achieve is the list of hangouts showing the correct name. If I unmerge it shows as Dad, however when merge it just lists as his email.

I was hoping this was like iMessage, but seems to be far from it? What is even crazier, is if I choose my Dad to send a hangout from the computer it shows it up as Dad, rather than email?
    I was just thinking that if you could change it to SMS rather than email that it would show as Dad and not his address.
    Give me a second while I try to merge a couple of Hangouts and see how that works.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    8,744 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

OK...well I merged a Hangout and it defaults to showing the Google + name instead of the contact name for some reason. I'm not seeing Amy option to change that

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    OK...well I merged a Hangout and it defaults to showing the Google + name instead of the contact name for some reason. I'm not seeing Amy option to change that

Thanks for checking! Annoying isn't it?

Global Posts
    8,744 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Thanks for checking! Annoying isn't it?
    Yeah
    Luckily for me his G+ is still an actual name instead of an email. Doesn't bother me as much as an email would...That and very few of my friends use G+ anyway.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Well this is weird, checked my contacts again and now it merges properly for my Dad, but sister does not. This is a very inconsistent app!

Global Posts
    8,744 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Well this is weird, checked my contacts again and now it merges properly for my Dad, but sister does not. This is a very inconsistent app!
    So his name is showing as Dad now? Did you make any changes to it since yesterday?

Well, this is pretty damn stupid. Can't believe there's no way to change the name, let alone that it defaults to their email/g+.