Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Xegano

Default Samsung galaxy s4 using too much data

I have an iPhone and I am on vacation in turkey and bought a turkish sim card with internet data. Now my phone uses normal data usage but when I turn my hotspot on for my sister which has a samsung s4 with a sim card from the netherlands it uses a lot of my data usage it used like 900mb within an hour.

When I look into her usage it says she used a few mbs within that hour. In fact it says 124mb the whole month. How is this even possible? Could it be that she has a virus?
    Banned

Default Re: Samsung galaxy s4 using too much data

Quote Originally Posted by Xegano View Post
    I have an iPhone and I am on vacation in turkey and bought a turkish sim card with internet data. Now my phone uses normal data usage but when I turn my hotspot on for my sister which has a samsung s4 with a sim card from the netherlands it uses a lot of my data usage it used like 900mb within an hour.

When I look into her usage it says she used a few mbs within that hour. In fact it says 124mb the whole month. How is this even possible? Could it be that she has a virus?
    Well, i don't think that your sister device is having virus but herein I would say your device my be updating itself in the background ! Tell you what Android devices are designed to consume data way more faster but your case seems a bit more different to me I guess this surplus data consumption might because the Google Play Services application are updating your device apps and ...over the background. Try going to the settings> under wireless network select the data usage . And see if you can spot anything fishy over there ???

Well thats the problem. In there it shows like 10mb of usage within that time

Did you check Data usage for Mobile or for wifi? If you go to Data Usage, go to wifi. If you find the right amount of data used in wifi, then take a look at the application consumption. That should give you a good idea on which app is sucking up the data. For me, i noticed that my Android OS was using a lot of data. It wasn't as much as you and it turned out there's a Google backup which was enabled by default. I disable it and Android OS barely takes up any data.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Tam View Post
    Did you check Data usage for Mobile or for wifi? If you go to Data Usage, go to wifi. If you find the right amount of data used in wifi, then take a look at the application consumption. That should give you a good idea on which app is sucking up the data. For me, i noticed that my Android OS was using a lot of data. It wasn't as much as you and it turned out there's a Google backup which was enabled by default. I disable it and Android OS barely takes up any data.
    Wifi is unequal to hotspot in this case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

See what the increase is in [hotspot app] under data usage over the next hour and compare only that increase with her last hour of usage.

Not wifi data.

Restricting background data works. Also avast antivirus has an app per app firewall that will block all data on either mobile data, wifi, or both.

Stop those big consumers when out and about.