What is recovery? and root Help am a noob.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Join in the forums for Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting roms and hacks (regardless of being on a different network).
Also have a look at the Android Central Community forums, where you can say hi in Introductions, get tips in General Help and How To, see Ambassadors Guides, and find your other interests in the Android Central Lounge.

The forum Ambassadors and Moderators are doing a fantastic job on this new, quickie Question and Answer forum. They can be hard stretched to catch all the questions coming through. Hats off to them. Some members like me try to help where we can.

Also of course, check the links from @SpookDroid, @Golfdriver97 and others earlier in the thread.

Welcome to Android Central and enjoy the forums.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you, and all the others who help out in that section.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you ;) i guess that you install recovery>root>flash right?

If you mean as if you just bought a phone, for the most part, yes. That is a rather slim version of what to do, and some devices require more steps, but generally, that is the goal.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
If you mean as if you just bought a phone, for the most part, yes. That is a rather slim version of what to do, and some devices require more steps, but generally, that is the goal.

Thx Kinda cool how i went from a 100% android newbie to a "good android user" in 6-8 hours..

Thx guys :)

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thx Kinda cool how i went from a 100% android newbie to a "good android user" in 6-8 hours LOL

We all started somewhere. Some might not believe this: but there was a time when I didn't know anything about the OS.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thx Kinda cool how i went from a 100% android newbie to a "good android user" in 6-8 hours LOL

Very cool, welcome aboard the Android Train. Personally, I prefer TWRP recovery. Not that Clockwork isn't any good, but twrp is all touch enabled and everything is pretty obvious what to do. Good luck and enjoy!

If you didn't already know, Samsung Galaxy Nexus - XDA Forum is a great resource for all things rooting, romming, and just about everything else. It's probably the world's foremost site in that regard.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Very cool, welcome aboard the Android Train. Personally, I prefer TWRP recovery. Not that Clockwork isn't any good, but twrp is all touch enabled and everything is pretty obvious what to do. Good luck and enjoy!

If you didn't already know, Samsung Galaxy Nexus - XDA Forum is a great resource for all things rooting, romming, and just about everything else. It's probably the world's foremost site in that regard.

Cool but can I get twrp when cyanogenmod 11 installer got me clockworkmod? The all touch recovery looks very cool and the slide to flash LOL and what is your fav ROM for android? And can I just put a zip ROM over on my phone and install it in recovery?

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Can you put pictures here?

Wanna show the screen where I selected in dev options where I said apps and ADB and my info screen :)

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

;)

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
What's a kernel and Do you have any root app suggests? And I someone in a YouTube vid had a superuser app witch I don't?? ;(

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
What's a kernel and Do you have any root app suggests? And I someone in a YouTube vid had a superuser app witch I don't?? ;(
The kernel is the linux kernel. Apps and the UI run on top of it. In other words, the kernel is the "core" of android. You don't need to install a separate kernel, as all roms already come with one. I've used SuperSu for root privileges.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Cool but can I get twrp when cyanogenmod 11 installer got me clockworkmod? The all touch recovery looks very cool and the slide to flash LOL and what is your fav ROM for android? And can I just put a zip ROM over on my phone and install it in recovery?

My favorite rom is CandyKat. Not sure if it's available for your phone though. Check on xda forums.

Just copy and paste the rom to your phone and boot to recovery and flash. You will need to flash gapps also if you want google services such as mail, maps, hangouts, etc......

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The kernel is the linux kernel. Apps and the UI run on top of it. In other words, the kernel is the "core" of android. You don't need to install a separate kernel, as all roms already come with one. I've used SuperSu for root privileges.

Oh ok ;)

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
My favorite rom is CandyKat. Not sure if it's available for your phone though. Check on xda forums.

Just copy and paste the rom to your phone and boot to recovery and flash. You will need to flash gapps also if you want google services such as mail, maps, hangouts, etc......

I use paranoid 4.4.4 now ;)

But i have a question. and that is how to i replace clockworkmod with TWRP? or else OTA wont work ;(

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I use paranoid 4.4.4 now ;)

But i have a question. and that is how to i replace clockworkmod with TWRP? or else OTA wont work ;(
If you can find the file for your phone, you can either flash TWRP through your current recovery or through ODIN.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
just like i did with Paranoid?

and where can i find download link i cant on xda ;(

EDIT: Nevermind i used rashr to get twrp ;)

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
just like i did with Paranoid?

and where can i find download link i cant on xda ;(

EDIT: Nevermind i used rashr to get twrp ;)

Now, be advised: Any backup you made with Clockwork will not restore with TWRP. You need to make a new backup in case anything goes wrong.