Popoup from ads.yahoo.com

gwa000

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Device: Google Nexus 7
Browser: Chrome (Ver. 36)

clicked on a link in an email for a newsletter i subscribe to (Video Games Reviews & News - GameSpot) and it took me to the site containing the article. after the page loaded up popped the following warning:

Virus warning.jpg

another time (i.e. reloading same web page) displayed a different warning:

Android errors.jpg

as far as i can recall i only see these "errors" when going to the Gamespot links.

in the past i have always clicked on Cancel. today for grins i clicked on OK to see if it would ask me to download some sort of product. instead it took me to the following web site which was an empty page:

zzzzzandroid-system-alert.systemsecurity.co/mm/androiddownload/v04/blk_scanner_EN_72d193e4/alert_c.php?p1=trackkor&p2=com&p3=main&c=809&subid=1235268022-139e6e185fd3ee0590ed8bfbbcfc63f1&l=3243&ept=105lDCtOvJ%2BamKcjeio%2FDJOhD3Gp%2FvD4ITHPcz5QuPxFutxOys%2FdS2K0bauBrxklxuOx6sPtmZNkhT9noPIW0Q%3D%3D

Note: i have prefixed the URL with 5 z's to prevent anyone from going there accidentally.

immediately ran a virus scan (Avast) which came up clean.

1. any idea what clicking on OK did since the web site was empty and the virus scan was clean? i was sort of expecting that it would try to ask to install an anti-virus or cleanup program.

2. is there any way to block access to ads.yahoo.com in a Chrome setting?

thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Malware shouldn't be a problem, because it didn't ask you to install anything. As far as I know, there is no "drive-by" malware on Android yet. It may be that on a desktop browser, that page has more nasty stuff that can infect a PC or Mac.

Do you have pop-ups set to be blocked in Chrome? Tap the Menu button, then Settings, then Content Settings, and make sure Block Pop-ups is checked.

gwa000

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Do you have pop-ups set to be blocked in Chrome? Tap the Menu button, then Settings, then Content Settings, and make sure Block Pop-ups is checked.

yes i do, which is one reason why i was surprised that i would see a popup. although i do get popups from other sites so i'm not sure how effective this setting really is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude