- 9 Posts
Popoup from ads.yahoo.com
Device: Google Nexus 7
Browser: Chrome (Ver. 36)
clicked on a link in an email for a newsletter i subscribe to (Video Games Reviews & News - GameSpot) and it took me to the site containing the article. after the page loaded up popped the following warning:
another time (i.e. reloading same web page) displayed a different warning:
as far as i can recall i only see these "errors" when going to the Gamespot links.
in the past i have always clicked on Cancel. today for grins i clicked on OK to see if it would ask me to download some sort of product. instead it took me to the following web site which was an empty page:
Note: i have prefixed the URL with 5 z's to prevent anyone from going there accidentally.
immediately ran a virus scan (Avast) which came up clean.
1. any idea what clicking on OK did since the web site was empty and the virus scan was clean? i was sort of expecting that it would try to ask to install an anti-virus or cleanup program.
2. is there any way to block access to ads.yahoo.com in a Chrome setting?
- 07-31-2014, 01:14 PM #2
Re: Popoup from ads.yahoo.com
Malware shouldn't be a problem, because it didn't ask you to install anything. As far as I know, there is no "drive-by" malware on Android yet. It may be that on a desktop browser, that page has more nasty stuff that can infect a PC or Mac.
Do you have pop-ups set to be blocked in Chrome? Tap the Menu button, then Settings, then Content Settings, and make sure Block Pop-ups is checked.
- 07-31-2014, 03:42 PM #4
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 5Last Post: 09-08-2014, 05:27 PM
- By glaustin in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2Replies: 1Last Post: 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM
- By ambalto in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & HacksReplies: 0Last Post: 07-31-2014, 12:21 PM
- By AC Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 3Last Post: 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM
- By Deac Cristian in forum Android 4.4 KitKatReplies: 0Last Post: 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM