Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Popoup from ads.yahoo.com

Device: Google Nexus 7
    Browser: Chrome (Ver. 36)

clicked on a link in an email for a newsletter i subscribe to (Video Games Reviews & News - GameSpot) and it took me to the site containing the article. after the page loaded up popped the following warning:

Popoup from ads.yahoo.com-virus-warning.jpg

another time (i.e. reloading same web page) displayed a different warning:

Popoup from ads.yahoo.com-android-errors.jpg

as far as i can recall i only see these "errors" when going to the Gamespot links.

in the past i have always clicked on Cancel. today for grins i clicked on OK to see if it would ask me to download some sort of product. instead it took me to the following web site which was an empty page:

zzzzzandroid-system-alert.systemsecurity.co/mm/androiddownload/v04/blk_scanner_EN_72d193e4/alert_c.php?p1=trackkor&p2=com&p3=main&c=809&subid=1235268022-139e6e185fd3ee0590ed8bfbbcfc63f1&l=3243&ept=105lDCtOvJ%2BamKcjeio%2FDJOhD3Gp%2FvD4ITHPcz5QuPxFutxOys%2FdS2K0bauBrxklxuOx6sPtmZNkhT9noPIW0Q%3D%3D

Note: i have prefixed the URL with 5 z's to prevent anyone from going there accidentally.

immediately ran a virus scan (Avast) which came up clean.

1. any idea what clicking on OK did since the web site was empty and the virus scan was clean? i was sort of expecting that it would try to ask to install an anti-virus or cleanup program.

2. is there any way to block access to ads.yahoo.com in a Chrome setting?

thanks!

Default Re: Popoup from ads.yahoo.com

Malware shouldn't be a problem, because it didn't ask you to install anything. As far as I know, there is no "drive-by" malware on Android yet. It may be that on a desktop browser, that page has more nasty stuff that can infect a PC or Mac.

Do you have pop-ups set to be blocked in Chrome? Tap the Menu button, then Settings, then Content Settings, and make sure Block Pop-ups is checked.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Do you have pop-ups set to be blocked in Chrome? Tap the Menu button, then Settings, then Content Settings, and make sure Block Pop-ups is checked.
    yes i do, which is one reason why i was surprised that i would see a popup. although i do get popups from other sites so i'm not sure how effective this setting really is.

If you do nothing else today, contact the webmaster at Gamespot and complain about their use of intrusive and misleading popup ads.
    B. Diddy likes this.