Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Android Abroad - Wifi?

Hello. I'm an American preparing to live abroad in Korea for several months, trying to figure out what to do with my Samsung Galaxy S4 while I'm traveling. Previously, on shorter trips to European countries, I brought it with me and enabled flight mode for the duration of the trip so that I could avoid AT&T's roaming charges and utilize wifi connectivity. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do this again, as Google Maps and the Translate app would be extremely useful. However, as I may be gone for up to a year, I'm considering canceling my current phone plan altogether. Basically I'm wondering if the wifi connectivity on my Android will even work without an affiliated data plan. Does anyone know?

Also expat blogs seem to unanimously agree that it is impossible to put a Korean sim card in an American-bought phone, even a Samsung, so alternately I'll take any other suggestions about what to do with my phone, as I'm still trying to work it all out.
    Banned

Default Re: Android Abroad - Wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Hello. I'm an American preparing to live abroad in Korea for several months, trying to figure out what to do with my Samsung Galaxy S4 while I'm traveling. Previously, on shorter trips to European countries, I brought it with me and enabled flight mode for the duration of the trip so that I could avoid AT&T's roaming charges and utilize wifi connectivity. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do this again, as Google Maps and the Translate app would be extremely useful. However, as I may be gone for up to a year, I'm considering canceling my current phone plan altogether. Basically I'm wondering if the wifi connectivity on my Android will even work without an affiliated data plan. Does anyone know?

Also expat blogs seem to unanimously agree that it is impossible to put a Korean sim card in an American-bought phone, even a Samsung, so alternately I'll take any other suggestions about what to do with my phone, as I'm still trying to work it all out.
    Well, I would say yes you can't put the korean sim card over the phone bought over America So I would suggest why don't temporarily purchase a device which is going to work with the Korean SIM. But if you don't want to work with it then you can always use Skype over wifi network just make sure that you remove AT&T SIM card over your device and I am sure you will be able to see a number of public wifi network so use skype or.... will be the best option. But still I would suggest if you are going to stay a bit long over there than it would be better if your purchase a lower cost temporary device which you can use over ....