Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brt478
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default just got my first ever tablet - HP Slate7 Extreme w/Android 4.3

I'm an Android newbie...I'd like to load Adobe Digital Edition so I can read e-books. From the research I've done online so far, the Tegra-based OS isn't listed as a compatible device for Digital Editions??

Thanks for your help!

Bart

Default Re: just got my first ever tablet - HP Slate7 Extreme w/Android 4.3

You can always read e-books with Google Play Books. Other popular options are Kobo Reader, the Kindle Reader (for this one 'side loading' books is a little trickier), Moon Reader, and Aldiko.

Personally I like Play Books because it actually syncs your progress even for sideloaded books, which is cool because I can read on my phone, then switch over to my tablet and still keep my place without having to look into the other device or remember where I left things.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Thanks SpookDroid,

I looked at Google Play, as a matter of fact; however I subscribe to Open Library on the Archive.org website and it requires Adobe DE. I've been using it for months now on my Windows laptop and was hoping to use my tablet instead. Anyway, if its not possible on my tablet then so be it. I love the tablet though!

I might be wrong, but the reason it needs ADE is for the DRM, right? In theory, Aldiko, Kobo, and Mantano Reader support Adobe DRM, so you might be able to read those e-books in there.

You could also download Calibre to your PC (It's an e-book Management program) and it lets you, among many things, to convert your ADE, DRM-protected books to a DRM-free version that you can read with any e-book app, and in case there's something you don't like, you can also change it (cover, description, tags, even edit the book content itself in case you're like me and if you find a Spelling error you just HAVE to correct it, and a lot of these happen with digital conversions).

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Yep, the DRM it is. I will try Calibre, never heard of it but from what you say, I like what it can do. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input!
    SpookDroid likes this.