Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Samsung Alarm Still Not Working?

I did a search for "Samsung Galaxy S5 clock alarm" and came across the following article:

Samsung S5 - Alarm Not Working -

I am having the same issue, and I'm wondering if anyone else is still having the same problem. I notice someone said that updates were coming out in July. Well, it's August. Have any updates addressed the alarm flaw?

In a nutshell, here's what happens: I set the alarm. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. I especially notice that it doesn't work whenever I edit an alarm that has already been activated.

Here is an example: I set the alarm for 6:15. I wake up on my own at 6:00 and decide I want to sleep until 6:30. I pull up my active alarm that's been set for 6:15 and change it to 6:30. I click "save" and it shows the alarm as active and as ready to wake me at 6:30. An hour and fifteen minutes later, I wake up to realize that my alarm never went off!!!

By the way, this isn't the only time the alarm hasn't worked. There are other seemingly random times that it either works or doesn't work. I'd say that 80% of the time the alarm works, and about 20% it doesn't.

I have relied on my phone alarm as my primary alarm for 4 years now. (That's the amount of time I had my iPhone 4S.) I really like my Galaxy S5, but I need my alarm to work 100% of the time.

More information: Every time I set the alarm, I make sure I set it for every day of the week and I click the "Repeat Weekly" button. I also make sure that the volume is turned up within the app. I am also sure that my phone volume is not turned off when I go to sleep. One time I had my volume down and when the alarm rang, it merely vibrated. I'll call that one my fault, but that is annoying, too! On an iPhone, the alarm ALWAYS rings - regardless of whether you have your phone on vibrate or not. Seems like a good idea to me considering that folks set alarm clocks for the purpose of needing to wake up!

Please don't suggest an alarm app to download. I know I can get another app, but I don't want to. My phone comes with an alarm and I just want to know how to get it to work.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and thanks for putting up with my semi-rant about this issue. I'm a bit frustrated, and I know it came through a bit in this post.

Default Re: Samsung Alarm Still Not Working?

Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Any chance you have have Blocking Mode on and set to disable alarms as well. Just a shot.

From a Note 3 :

pdqkemp likes this.

Thank you for your reply. No, that's not it. I do not have Blocking on at the moment.

(I am the person who originally posted the question. I couldn't reply until I signed up.)
    anon8380037 likes this.

***UPDATE*** (By the way, this was my question originally. I posted it before I had an account on this forum.)

I did a live chat with a Samsung agent. They took control of my phone and checked some settings. Ultimately, the agent's solution was to clear the Clock apps cache. I asked him what I should tell someone in case they ask how to fix it. Here is his reply:

"Santino: I have cleared temp files for the clock app on device; However, if the issue persists I recommend you perform wipe cache partition on phone to fix the issue.
    Santino: Yes, you can advise them to clear cache and data for the Clock apps under application manager >> All.
    Santino: Wipe cache partition will erase all temp files all the applications on the device and will refresh the phones internal circuit.
    Santino: I recommend you to perform wipe cache partition if the issue persists.
    Santino: I will help you with the steps.
    Santino: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
    Santino: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
    Santino: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
    Santino: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
    Santino: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the wipe cache partition reset option and press the Power key to select.
    Santino: 6. After wipe cache partition, press the Power key to reboot system now.
    Santino: This will not erase or effect any data on phone."

When I told this agent that I believe this is a problem with the Galaxy S5, he said they have had no reports of this problem. He also said it's most likely due to 3rd party apps.

Anyway, hopefully this helps other people with this problem. Frankly, I don't even know for sure if this solves my problem! He had me test my alarm and it worked. That tells me nothing. It usually worked, but only about 80% of the time! We'll see if this actually fixes the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by pdqkemp View Post
    ***UPDATE*** (By the way, this was my question originally. I posted it before I had an account on this forum.)

I did a live chat with a Samsung agent. They took control of my phone and checked some settings. Ultimately, the agent's solution was to clear the Clock apps cache. I asked him what I should tell someone in case they ask how to fix it. Here is his reply:

"Santino: I have cleared temp files for the clock app on device; However, if the issue persists I recommend you perform wipe cache partition on phone to fix the issue.
    Santino: Yes, you can advise them to clear cache and data for the Clock apps under application manager >> All.
    Santino: Wipe cache partition will erase all temp files all the applications on the device and will refresh the phones internal circuit.
    Santino: I recommend you to perform wipe cache partition if the issue persists.
    Santino: I will help you with the steps.
    Santino: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
    Santino: 2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
    Santino: 3. When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.
    Santino: 4. When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
    Santino: 5. Navigate with the Volume keys to the wipe cache partition reset option and press the Power key to select.
    Santino: 6. After wipe cache partition, press the Power key to reboot system now.
    Santino: This will not erase or effect any data on phone."

When I told this agent that I believe this is a problem with the Galaxy S5, he said they have had no reports of this problem. He also said it's most likely due to 3rd party apps.

Anyway, hopefully this helps other people with this problem. Frankly, I don't even know for sure if this solves my problem! He had me test my alarm and it worked. That tells me nothing. It usually worked, but only about 80% of the time! We'll see if this actually fixes the problem!
    Thanks for replying.
    That is the go to method to start with for most app issues.
    I never considered it for a clock/alarm issue, but I guess that is an app too! There are so many menus for basic things like sounds and notifications I figured something was overlooked.

You're not sure if it has cured it yet, so here's hoping.

You normally don't need to worry about holding the buttons in that sequence, I clear cache in recovery all the time (once a week/fortnight/month) so holding the up/power/home until it vibrates works, and accidentally selecting wipe data/master reset is not a worry as it gives you more options to go back before you commit.

On misbehaving apps, you can clear the cache in the App Info as well, and also clear Data , force stop and disable. Clearing data may lose you accumulated info but not the app. So I would clear both the Data and Cache in the Clock app. General - Applications Manager - scroll right to All (generally) click on the clock app.

Here's mine with very little data as it's only storing alarm history for the clock I guess:

Also Welcome to Android Central. You took your time PDQ !

[Guide] [Info] Custom recoveries versus Stock. Is there a difference?