Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Best smartphone for European travel (for data, text)?

Hi, I'm a little lost in too much online research and would love some advice experienced travelers using a Galaxy S in Europe (with data, using a European SIM card).

I'm headed to Europe for a month and want to be able to use a smartphone for navigation and maps, a limited amount of phone calls to European phone numbers, plus texting. I will buy a European SIM card with data when I arrive. Here at home, I own and love my Galaxy s3 (despite Verizon). However, I believe the Verizon versions of Galaxy S have limited "global" frequencies (?...please set me straight on that if needed).

For the sake of uninterrupted coverage, I'm wondering if I'm better off buying an unlocked AT&T-model Galaxy s3 or s4 on eBay, and reselling it when I get back home. I would very much appreciate guidance regarding the best used smartphone to pick up.

I'm insufficiently techy to fully understand these things, but my in research on major carriers in the countries I'm visiting (France, Italy, Netherlands), I've triangulated on these frequencies, which they share in common: LTE (1800), GSM-900/1800, UMTS 900/2100, and HSPA+. Some also have HSDPA. I believe (?) AT&T Galaxy S models have the most in common with these European frequencies.

Not sure how much data I'll be using, but I figure that I'll be using Google maps and (hopefully) live navigation a little bit each day for the full month.

So, fellow travelers and esteemed tech-heads...what's a girl to do? Thanks for any help.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Best smartphone for European travel (for data, text)?

I'd buy a cheaper phone if possible. Something like the Nexus 5 or a Moto G/E will work on most GSM networks.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    22,281 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Best smartphone for European travel (for data, text)?

I would actually suggest a Moto G from Play.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here