Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Galaxy S4 won't allow software 2update because of "Custom" Status

I bought a Galaxy S4 I337M from ebay. I'm trying to update to the lastest software (I have 4.2.2). It won't let me because my Device Status is "Custom". I removed the SD card and restarted the phone. No luck. I even did a factory reset and wiped everything from my phone (I had been using it for a week before I decided to check for an update. I don't know why. Ugh!). It STILL shows up as custom after a factory reset and the SD card still out of it. I used the Root Checker app and it says that I do not have root access. I'm scratching my head. The only reason I knew to do the things mentioned above is from Googling. I don't know my way around other than that. Please help!

Global Posts
    9,122 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

Default Re: Galaxy S4 won't allow software 2update because of "Custom" Status

Try to boot into download mode. (Hold volume down + power + home). If it's custom status there it's because the previous owner rooted the phone and didn't reset the flash counter.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan