Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PepsiTitantic
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Exclamation No sound, headphone icon on in the notification bar of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

I have a used Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I noticed that when I was in settings changing the notification sounds (whistle, bells, etc) you could hear a sample of the sounds selected. When I try to toggle the volume button, play music, video or any media there is no volume to the sound. As I investigated further I noticed that the headphone icon was on in the notification bar. There were no headphones attached at that time. The device was not on mute, all volumes were at max. I tried to plug in a headphone but the jack could only enter half-way. Do you think that it is possible that the previous owner had a headphone jack break off in there? How can I troubleshoot this or fix this problem?

Default Re: No sound, headphone icon on in the notification bar of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Welcome to Android Central! It certainly sounds like something is lodged in there, and if it's metal, it could be making the tablet think there's a headphone plugged in. Not sure how easy it might be to remove it. You could try some very fine tip tweezers. Here's a video of another novel solution:

Default Re: No sound, headphone icon on in the notification bar of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Thank you for the suggested solution with use of the toothpick super & glue combination to extract a broken off jack. Some other similar solutions are to use the end of a Q-Tip. I will keep trying. I would imagine that this is a very common problem with many devices. I will keep trying and if I just cannot get it out then I will take it to a repair shop.
    B. Diddy likes this.