Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Google Play Music App "Rant/Complaint"

I got my first smartphone back in 2010. It was the iPhone 3Gs. Then I went to the Galaxy S3 back in August of 2012. That's when I started using the Google Play Music app. Ever since, this app has censored (incorrectly matched) my music. I’ve tried going through various settings, deleting and re-uploading music and nothing seems to work. I've asked a few people who use the app and some people can relate while some don't.
    What’s crazier is that you never know what songs are censored (incorrectly matched) until you hear them. Another crazy discovery is that some songs with profanity gets censored while some don't. It's like it's hit or miss. If you’re mainly a hip-hop listener like me, you’ll be in for a surprise. Then you have to go on the web browser, find the song that was censored, select “Fix Incorrect Match” and THEN wait for Google to properly match the song when it never should’ve happened in the first place. Ever since using this app, I’ve had to click through thousands of my songs to make sure they were properly matched.
    The music manager app for Mac is also a complete disaster and I think it could use an update or two. You can’t simply drag and drop songs you want to add. You can only choose through uploading playlists from iTunes or recently added songs, or your ENTIRE library (hell no lol), or individually browse for songs on your computer (which seems like the best option but I don't wanna have to go through endless files to find the songs I wanna upload when it's perfectly organized in my iTunes). Why is it so hard to offer such simple choices? Why can't I just highlight the songs from iTunes and drag and drop? Is this a problem on Google's end or Apple's? With adding music to my iPhone via iTunes, it was so simple, yet adding music to my Nexus is so drawn out and frustrating. I've never used a program that made it so difficult to upload what I want.
    Also, I prefer having my songs on my phone. I don't like wasting my data on streaming music. I'm also drawn to the thought that it kills the hell out of my battery. I prefer putting the music on my phone. I've tried adding music on my phone via Android File Manager for Mac and when I do, the MP3 files get "distorted." Adding songs via Android File Transfer often messes up the song names, artists and album art etc. Then I have to download another app to properly edit the messed up info and it’s just ridiculous. It's literally just TOO MUCH.

Sorry for the long vent lol. I've been dealing with these issues for a long time. I've tried leaving feedback and calling Google but nothing seems to work. I really don't wanna have to go back to iPhone to enjoy certain features. I really enjoy Android and I like rooting and trying out ROMs, but I just want the one thing I do the most on my phone to work properly, and that's listening to music.

Can anyone relate?
    Do you have these problems with Google Play Music censoring (incorrectly matching) your music?
    How do you add music to your phone?
    Do you prefer streaming music or actually having the music on your phone?

MacBook Pro 10.9.4
    Nexus 5 Android 4.4.4, PA 4.45

Default Re: Google Play Music App "Rant/Complaint"

Have you tried using a different music app to see if the issues are resolved there?
    I left Play Music for different reasons (Annoying whine when using a specific pair of headphones) and haven't looked back. PowerAmp was $4 but it has a lot more customization options. Whine is gone when using that same pair of headphones.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I only tried the trial version of PowerAmp but I'm going to give it another shot. I had this weird error with my headphones too at one point but it eventually stopped. The headphones worked fine with my laptop and other devices, but not Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Doooooooom View Post
    I only tried the trial version of PowerAmp but I'm going to give it another shot. I had this weird error with my headphones too at one point but it eventually stopped. The headphones worked fine with my laptop and other devices, but not Play Music.
    That's the same issue I had. Tried a different phone, different apps and it was only happening in Play Music. Seems to be fine now

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2