Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon S4 cdma to Straighttalk as a GSM phone changeover, was very easy today,8.2014

After checking out all the info here it was about 50/50 on what was required to get my verizon galaxy s4 to work on straighttalks service. I had first planned on getting my phone unlocked but nixed that until later if needed. I paid 7.00 for a Straighttalk (ST) sim card for an ATT galaxy S4 phone. they are shipping them overnight fedex for free until August something. Before I put the sim in I changed over the mobile network to ATT, and changed the setting to GSM in the settings also. . It searched and found it but of course would not register until my sim went in. Put the sim in and called ST. Told them I wanted to use my regular phone, told them it was unlocked but it was not. Gave them my imei on the s4 and the sim serial number that came fed ex. They registered the s4 and unregistered the ST flip phone I bought before this so I could port my number to ST and then follow it with my s4.
    They emailed me the correct settings for the apn and it was easy to enter them. i have a good signal for talking and mostly a H+ icon for my data which i believe is ATT's high speed icon, ocassionally it slips to the 'E' which is 2g but comes right back. Still beats verizon for neither carrier has a signal at my house. Rather pay 45.00 for no signal at home than 110.00 to verizon.
    Have not used the text yet but with fast mobile data working I'm sure it will be fine. 8.1.2014

Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Verizon S4 cdma to Straighttalk as a GSM phone changeover, was very easy today,8.2014

Glad you got it working. H+ is for HSPA+ or what they label as 4G (Really just refarmed 3G/HSPA). Not sure if Straight Talk allows LTE but that would be AT&T's high speed connection.
    Let us know how it works out when you get the SIM
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Verizon S4 cdma to Straighttalk as a GSM phone changeover, was very easy today,8.2014

Was trying to download the root program from towelroot and using galaxys4root for info but am confused a little. I just want to be able to delete programs for ever not have to change operating systems as I don't know enough about that. It seems I have to load a new operating system after rooting ??? a ROM ??. To me rom used to mean read only memory.
    The journey continues, thanks for your help. dave

Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by davekane View Post
    Was trying to download the root program from towelroot and using galaxys4root for info but am confused a little. I just want to be able to delete programs for ever not have to change operating systems as I don't know enough about that. It seems I have to load a new operating system after rooting ??? a ROM ??. To me rom used to mean read only memory.
    The journey continues, thanks for your help. dave
    ROMs are optional. You don't have to do anything with root if you don't want to.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan