Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Explanation of permissions

Many apps has they develop ask for more and more permissions and the almost never say why they need it. For example one of my apps now wants to know if the wifi is enabled and what other devices are connected to the wifi. This app is meant to allow me to find out the time of the next train. Why on earth does it care about the wifi.

It would be really helpful if developers explained why they needed the permissions and it might even help them recognise when they are asking for something they do not really need.

In addition if this is needed for example to provide data/post adverts so that the developer can make a living there might just be a market out there willing to pay for an app in order to protect ( a little bit) their privacy and this might provide another revenue stream.

So to repeat the question at the start of this section why would and app that provides scheduling information about trains suddenly need to know about my wifi. It has been working up to now without knowing about it.

Default Re: Explanation of permissions

This article by Jerry Hildebrand is a good read and ought to give you an answer:

What some of those scary application permissions mean http://www.androidcentral.com/look-a...on-permissions

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Explanation of permissions

Hildenbrand. Sorry.

Posted via Android Central App