Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default kyocera brigadier - any hands on reviews or comments?

This phone was released on Verizon in US two days ago, I'd love to hear any comments on the phone.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    6,368 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: kyocera brigadier - any hands on reviews or comments?

Check here:
    Kyocera Brigadier brings affordable ruggedness and a sapphire display to Verizon http://www.androidcentral.com/kyocer...isplay-verizon

Sent From Another Galaxy
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Thanks. Hopefully someone will jump in and provide a hands-on usage review. So far everything I read is just conveying product spec.

In which forum heading would I look to create / find other Kyocera android phone information? Obviously, HTC, Samsung, and the big players have their own forums, should I direct Kyocera discussion into the "Other Android Devices" forum next time?

thx!

Just got it yesterday, I'm a welder so durability was one of the bigger selling points. My last phone was a three year old I phone 4. So that being said I am new to the android platform but I'm getting it slowly.

Picture quality is important to me for uploading pictures of my work to my website and Facebook. The front facing camera is pretty dark, but I'm sure I can get a better camera app (That and i dont take selfies) The 8 mp rear cam is nice, allot of settings and great quality.

My biggest concern is the microphone is so damn sensitive. I called my wife on the way home, windows down, and she asked me what the hell was going on. I get home, in disbelief that it really sounded THAT bad and had her call me on it. You can hear a pin drop! Its very sensitive, perhaps there's some way to adjust it, but wow, very noisy.

Also after doing some reading, I got rid of the delay in the display when using the camera by changing developer settings. That took care if the laggy cam.

I was a bit Leary buying a phone that's so new, but the price was good. So far I'm for it, again I'm new from the apple world so much of it seems new to me, but I like it.

Thanks, your comments are helpful! I'm leary of a new phone also.

Call quality is very important. If you find sensitivity settings for the mic, and/or listening quality becomes different, please update.

Regardless of background/ambient noise, did the quality of voice tone seem natural? Also, would be interested in your take re: speakerphone, I do a lot of calls that way (in quite settings).

Does the phone feel overly bulky in use or in pocket when just out and about (vs welder's shop floor)?

And quality of screen - good in your opinion - sharp & clear & bright?

If you find any settings to make front facing camera better, please update if you have time.

I'd be moving from a Blackberry to Android, I haven't been a big fan of my gf's android tablet, but at least (I think) Kyocera offers a fairly lean Android interface without a bunch of their own extras.

(I wish the phone was in the stores for a gander, but so far, nada)

Thanks!

FYI I sawa unit at local Verizon store, they are evidently putting on shelves tonight! Device definitely had heft, sort of like any other phone with an otterbox type case. Screen was very sharp in my limited viewing, but the white background of applications seemed to have a yellowish cast to it.

The screen is crisp, again compared to my old I phone. I found this is one of the first phones to feature a sapphire screen.

I will add, the WiFi is much stronger. It picks up signal where my iPhone wouldn't. However, its cell antenna is weaker, can't make calls where my 3 year old iPhone could.

I did some more experimenting with call microphone and as long as your not driving in a car its pretty good, but I do allot of business on the road so I guess I'll have to roll my windows up.

The rear cam takes blurry pictures, no matter how steady I hold it, and in good lighting. Not thrilled about that. I will try another camera app.

Joe

Phonescoop dot com just posted the first industry review I've seen.

Note page 3 of review on camera, perhaps yours has water vapor also, or your just seeing the limitation of the camera. I carry around a dslr for special occasions, but def want a well functioning and speedy phone camera when I don't. Then again, I'm coming from an older model blackberry, so any newer device is likely better than what I currently have.

On the phone right now.

I had a 1st gen Casio commando. I wanted the new one but they don't carry it anymore. I was really hesitant on getting this since there were no real reviews( didn't even have it in the store to test or buy) but this has actually exceeded my expectations.

My biggest issue was memory and the craptastic browser on the commando and this blew it out of the water. This does pretty much everything the commando can just better.

It has been charging a little weird and, at times, the battery drops quickly. I think it just hasn't been fully charged yet. So, I don't want to count that against it. At least, not yet.

My only real complaint is that it doesn't have an actual "menu/settings" button.

I'm still testing it out but, so far, I'm actually impressed

I just got one and I have to say I'm impressed. I climb cell towers and even the Commando Isn't tough enough for the job. I just wish there was a place I could hook a climbing carabiner.

As for the interface: the physical buttons are great and the touch screen is very responsive even with moderately thick gloves on ( I didn't have any expectations that it would work with full work gloves.)

The camera is good too. I haven't had any trouble with water vapor getting in the lens but the rear camera is positioned almost perfectly to get finger prints on it.

The sound is good and the speaker phone is very clear. The mic is very sensitive in windy environments but the sound comes though over the noise. Better noise canceling software would help.

The feel is "stout": It's much more like a tool than a fashion accessory like the Galaxy line. If you're worried about it being ugly than you're missing the point of this phone. It is heavy and somewhat thick compared to "street" phones but that all the better in a serious environment.

The screen has lived up to the hype Even a tungsten carbide drill bit wont scratch it. I almost get the feeling that the rest of the phone would break before the screen.

The battery life is decent too It can easily go the whole day without a charge and still be above 50%.

As usual with Verizon it comes with an impressive amount of bloat ware. I will very happy to get it rooted but I've seen no notes on it so far so I'll wait.

Just upgraded to the Brigadier from an LG Spectrum. My second android, so I'm not an expert.

As the others mention, the phone has a heft to it that gives a definite impression of 'tough' and I have no reason to doubt it. You probably don't want it loose in your shirt pocket, but a pants pocket felt OK.

I picked this one for the water, dust, & 'break' resistant billing.

The camera is 8 MP and works well enough - lots of options.
    Speaker volume beats the Spectrum. Microphone sensitivity is good to. I think I'm getting pretty good voice tone from the speakerphone although there is occasional warbling on a call when both parties are on speakerphone.

I was still working at learning the android system on the old phone and was doing well. Now changed brands and suddenly, the Brigadier doesn't seem so intuitive as the LG was. Everybody has a different idea on how things should operate but, jeez, couldn't it be a bit simpler to learn a new one.

Battery life seems about normal but with all the junk Verizon has stuffed in here, I don't know all that is running, & what can can/cannot be turned off.
    The phone is wireless charging capable. This is something new for me but it works well and I like the convenience.

In bright sunlight, the display is just like any other phone but otherwise seems bright & sharp.

There is a crisp snap to the buttons that I appreciate after the soft feel on the Spectrum.

If you look long enough, you will eventually find the user manual on Kyocera's site. Good luck with Verizon, they were of no help (surprise, surprise).

I believe that I would recommend this phone.

the microphone is terrible. too sensitive in all settings. in quiet room: "i can hear the saliva in your mouth and every breath and sigh. you should figure that out before making any work calls." amplifies ambient noise indoors and outdoors in a way no other phone i've owned has done. wind? forget about it.

bought this thing because i work on the water and needed something tough and water resistant. most of my clients are in tech (facebook, google, twitter, etc...) and are mad curious about any device i pull out on the boat. i hope kyocera comes up with a fix. im headed to verizon tmro to try and sort something out.

Watching your guy's reviews of this phone as this very well may be my next phone. I have and HTC m7 have been happy with it's overall durability but damn does this take it to a level I've been waiting on for a decent looking phone.
    This video is crazy, try that with you current phone...
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/apGmhu-...l=0&showinfo=0

Purchased kyocera brigadier at Verizon wireless store. Nice phone, very loud ringer, BUT every one I called complained that my voice sounded muffled and static in the background. Returned the kyocera brigadier for another kyocera brigadier. Same thing!!. Returned the second kyocera brigadier. Reactivaded my old flip phone.

I bought the Brigadier. I like the phone in general but it has had a few problems - cordless charger and blue tooth volume. One item on my selection criteria was the cordless charger. I like setting it on a pad to charge. That feature worked for about 2 weeks, then failed. I contacted Verizon and after wiping my phone clean, returning it to factory without changing the problem, they sent me a new charger. When that didn't work, the tech support person sent me to Verizon so they could verify that it wasn't working. They then shipped me a phone. The cordless charging on the 2nd phone worked for a little over a week before it failed. I've been busy and haven't called Verizon again yet to go one more round of wiping my phone and reloading everything, etc. Maybe I'll take the charger and go directly to the Verizon store. I hope to skip replacing the charging pad this time. Regarding the blue tooth volume - Verizon told me the low volume is a known problem which is expected to be fixed with an upcoming firmware upgrade.

I own this phone it is a great phone for active people. Very tough and not to big to be comfy in the pocket. It does take some reading to learn how to use the phone. The function are not obvious. And does operate the same as the Samsung android phones. It will do everything they do but you will have to learn new ways to it. Ie screen shots.

And as for the complaints about call quality the Mic is very sensitive but this phone was designed for industrial environments.(loud) this is the only phone I have ever had that I can use in the engine rooms on my cranes. Before phone calls where impossible with this I can hear the person I'm talking with and they can hear me. If you don't work in an industrial environment this may not be the phone for you but if you do it's great

Quote Originally Posted by stoddard0844 View Post
    And as for the complaints about call quality the Mic is very sensitive but this phone was designed for industrial environments.(loud) this is the only phone I have ever had that I can use in the engine rooms on my cranes. Before phone calls where impossible with this I can hear the person I'm talking with and they can hear me. If you don't work in an industrial environment this may not be the phone for you but if you do it's great
    If your voice sounds muffled and a lot of static in the background, how do people understand you? Also I was told the muffled sound and the static is very very annoying to people you are talking to.

I bought my Kyocera Birdagider from Verizon the middle of October and have had nothing but problems. The wireless charging will cause the battery to turn extremely hot and will only raise the charge by 5%, everyone I talk with says it sounds like there is another conversation in the background, battery life is horrible may be 4-6 hours if you are lucky, stutters when switching apps, volume control only works half the time, takes horrible pictures, etc.... Today it bricked on me while I was waiting for an email on a contract with a client, when the screen saver comes on it shuts the phone off. I am returning to Verizon, if they will not take it back I will use my old S3 which has never bricked on me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cordts View Post
    I bought my Kyocera Birdagider from Verizon the middle of October and have had nothing but problems. The wireless charging will cause the battery to turn extremely hot and will only raise the charge by 5%, everyone I talk with says it sounds like there is another conversation in the background, battery life is horrible may be 4-6 hours if you are lucky, stutters when switching apps, volume control only works half the time, takes horrible pictures, etc.... Today it bricked on me while I was waiting for an email on a contract with a client, when the screen saver comes on it shuts the phone off. I am returning to Verizon, if they will not take it back I will use my old S3 which has never bricked on me.
    Call Verizon and complain. Even though the two weeks are up for an exchange on another phone, they should make an exception in this case.