I believe I have a corrupt SD card or could my computer be to old to read the SD card?

A

AC Question

Corrupt SD card

I have a S5 with a Samsung 64 GB SD card. From what I have read in previous forums the "cracked" lightening bolt that now appears in my Gallery instead of my pictures is due to a corrupt SD card. I use Google to back the pictures up but even so I have lost quite a few that were corrupted before I could back them up. I have tried various recovery programs but to no avail... Any other suggestions? Is it possible that my computer is too old to read the SD card or is just that there is no hope for my fried card?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Corrupt SD card

Have you tested the SD card on another device, tablet, phone, computer?

Sent From Another Galaxy

nrkg0718

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

Yes I tried in my computer but no luck. I'm wondering if it's that my computer is too old. Is there anyway to try to retrieve the photos while it's still in my phone?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes I tried in my computer but no luck. I'm wondering if it's that my computer is too old. Is there anyway to try to retrieve the photos while it's still in my phone?

I doubt it has anything to do with your computer. If it's corrupted, then it will not be recognized by any devices.
The pictures are probably gone because your card is no longer showing up. Can you at least use it on your phone so that you can reset it?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

nrkg0718

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

what do you mean "use it on my phone"? I even tried to format the card just to see what would happen and it said it could not be formatted :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

what do you mean "use it on my phone"? I even tried to format the card just to see what would happen and it said it could not be formatted :(

Yeah, I meant if it was recognized on your phone. If it can't be formatted on the phone, then card is most likely fried for good.
I'm assuming you had the G+ backup to do so only over WiFi? How many pics were lost?

nrkg0718

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

Yes it was set up over WiFi only. Thankfully only pictures from the last month or so we're the only ones lost. It seems anything from before that is still intact. Any thoughts on why it.might have happened. Clearly I need a new card. Any recommendations on one that might be better?

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes it was set up over WiFi only. Thankfully only pictures from the last month or so we're the only ones lost. It seems anything from before that is still intact. Any thoughts on why it.might have happened. Clearly I need a new card. Any recommendations on one that might be better?

Why did it go so long without backing up? 😦
What brand was the previous card?

nrkg0718

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure why it went so long. I'm not sure but it almost seems as if they were backed up and then they were corrupted after that.
It was a Samsung SD card. I've read about the problems with scandisk so thought the Samsung would be ok. Maybe it was the size? It's a 64 gb

nrkg0718

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

Also if it's corrupted why didn't aren't all my pictures gone? (Not that I'm complaining)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Also if it's corrupted why didn't aren't all my pictures gone? (Not that I'm complaining)

Idk. I've had corruption issues where only my music is corrupter and not the pics or some of the pics but not others. Happens randomly I guess.

SanDisk, Sony and Samsung are what I would stick to for SD cards.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Also if it's corrupted why didn't aren't all my pictures gone?
Bear in mind that inside that little card is a whole computer, RAM, ROM and CPU. Some of the ROM (where your pictures are stored) can be corrupted without the entire RAM being corrupted.

It's not a matter of Samsung vs. SanDisk. SanDisk had a problem - which they admitted as soon as they verified that it was their problem (well, to be fair it was a problem with the phones, but SanDisk "fudged" the cards so they would work with the buggy phones without corrupting) and they replaced the corrupted cards (which they really don't have to do, under the terms of their warranty).

I'd say that your card is gone (which would mean that there's no way to recover anything on it that shows as corrupted), but there are a few SD card checking programs you can use. Try running h2testw on the card (when the card is plugged directly into the computer, not through the phone) and see if that shows any problems. It writes and reads to the card up to the card's capacity, so it will show up any problems (like a 4GB card with a controller programmed to claim that it's a 64GB card). Also check the manufacture date of the card - if it's long before 64GB micro cards were first made - like January 1, 1970 - you have a counterfeit card. (SanDisk has an app that will give you the internal specs on the card - it's free at the Play store.)

But in any case, Samsung, if they're as good as SanDisk (I don't know, I buy only SanDisk), will replace the card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae