Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    turtletom100

Default samsung s4 with aftermarket cable

Hi, well basically my original cable seems to be damaged as when I charge it charges slow and sometimes doesn't charge atall. If I wiggle the bottom of the cable it does "ping" but it charges slow. I have downloaded the app and have found out that when it does charge I am only getting 400mah out of the 1900mah it should be using to charge according to the app.
    I know it's not my phone connection as I used my partners cable from her moto g and also used my cable from the lg gpad and both work and charge at 1200mah (which I have read on this site that is the maximum I can get now after a update)

I have ordered this from eBay 111425001264 (hope I can paste item numbers) because it is 3 metres. It is only 99p but In my eyes it is only a cable, I will still be using the original charging plug. Will this work? As I am a bit confused because I have seen others say that the longer cable means it will be a slower charge, can anyone confirm this and whether or not this will be okie or if it will screw my phone up?

Any help would be appreciated. :-)

Global Posts
    8,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: samsung s4 with aftermarket cable

As long as it is the same amperage, it will charge at the same speed. Usually advised that you use the stock cable, but if that's not an option any other cable should work as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

The longer the cable, the slower it will charge - for the same wire diameter, because the cable resistance will be higher. But if they increased the wire diameter to make up for the length, it will charge at the same rate. (You can use a 50 mile long charging cable if the wires are a few meters in diameter each and still get the same charging current.) It's electricity 101 - resistance, voltge and current, or Ohm's law.

For 99p I wouldn't expect much, but I've been surprised with some purchases - unbelievably low price and product better than I thought I could hope for. (I've also returned products that didn't even meet the manufacturer's own claims - some of which weren't any cheaper than others that actually worked.) Unless you're buying from a local shop, there's no way to tell in advance, but if you find a good manufacturer, one that has decent products for a low price, or really good customer service, post it on all the forums you visit. The good guys deserve our support. (And we deserve to know who to stay away from.)
    Thanked by:

Thankyou for the replies guys.

- I don't know what the ampage of the cable is it doesn't say in the listing it does says it is suitable for it.

- looking at the photo in the listing is isn't any thicker so I would assume that it will be a slower charge rate. I will buy a genuine one just to be safe shame they only go to a metre.

- I will definately try the longer 3 metre cable and look at galaxy charging current app and let you guys know in here what it is putting through the cable

thankyou again for your responses much appreciated

So I have received this 3 metre long cable and guess what it charges at 600mah. I have been in touch with the seller and they recommend purchasing a 2A charger (which is double samsungs 1A charger) I would assume 5he theory to this is that if it is only charging at 600 mah by doubling the the ampage output on the plug it will double the mah up to 1200. What do you guys think as I am aware that samsung do not recommend using an aftermarket charging plug.

Global Posts
    8,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by turtletom100 View Post
    So I have received this 3 metre long cable and guess what it charges at 600mah. I have been in touch with the seller and they recommend purchasing a 2A charger (which is double samsungs 1A charger) I would assume 5he theory to this is that if it is only charging at 600 mah by doubling the the ampage output on the plug it will double the mah up to 1200. What do you guys think as I am aware that samsung do not recommend using an aftermarket charging plug.
    Sorry for the late reply. I can sometimes forget some of the threads I respond to.

The phone will only take as much charge as it needs, so even if you use a higher amperage than what the phone can take, it will not go over its limit.

It is recommended that you use the stock cable, but if that's not an option a different cable would work as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    Last edited by UJ95x; 08-14-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    2,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by turtletom100 View Post
    So I have received this 3 metre long cable and guess what it charges at 600mah. I have been in touch with the seller and they recommend purchasing a 2A charger (which is double samsungs 1A charger) I would assume 5he theory to this is that if it is only charging at 600 mah by doubling the the ampage output on the plug it will double the mah up to 1200. What do you guys think
    I think whoever told you that learned his electrical theory in a school for the mentally challenged. No matter how much current is available (your house is connected to a multi-megaAmp source, but a 100 Watt light bulb still draws [at 220 volts] about half an amp), X resistance will draw Y current at Z voltage. As long as the charger is capable of providing 1 Amp at 5 volts, the phone will - if it's designed to - draw 1 Amp. Assuming that little enough voltage is dropped in the cable to allow it to.

However ...

Samsung phones are a chromatically variant equine (a horse of a different color). The cable and charger wiring determine whether the phone "thinks" it's being charged by a charger or a USB connection. I can get a 1.2 Amp charge from my Samsung charger using my Samsung cable. Using a generic, but thicker and shorter, cable gives me about 700 mA charge. There has to be a jumper in the plug somewhere telling the phone to accept a higher charge. So when I need to throw a charger and cable in my pocket it's the Cyber Power cable that rolls up into a little plastic reel and takes up almost no space, but when I need the ability to charge fast I put the original Samsung cable into something I'm taking with me. Same charger in both cases (5.3 volts, 2 Amps), but the charging rate seems to be determined by something other than the resistance of the cable.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x