WiFi on Moto E with PC (Win 7) Wifi HotSpot using mHotspot
I got my hand on Moto E (KitKat 4.4.2) yesterday and was keen on getting the WiFi to work. I spent from morning to evening trying to make it work. Searched through countless forums and websites but to no avail. I have tried almost all softwares out there like Connectify, MyPublicWiFi, WiFi HotSpot VPN (couldn't run this one as the website download link had malware) and lastly mHotspot.
How to do it? (This works only for Windows 7 and Windows 8 OS.)
- Install mHotspot. (before installing any of the softwares, make sure you have already installed driver for your WiFi Adapter)
- Give any name in the "Hotspot name"
- Put a "Password"
- Select "Internet Source" as Local Area Connection (mine is wired internet cable connection)
- Max Clients is the number of devices you would like to connect (maximum is 10)
- That's it. Click "Start Hotspot"
The reason I chose to keep working with mHotspot is because of its a very low resource consuming application while doing the job perfectly.
- Keep the hotspot running. Do not close it.
- Go to "Start" > "Control Panel" > "Network and Sharing Center"
- You will see the New Network name which you have put on the mHotspot showing up.
- Click on the "Local Area Network"
- Click "Properties"
- On the top, you will find two tabs. Click on "Sharing" tab.
- Check the box which says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection"
- Below you will find a drop down menu box. Select your Wireless Connection Adapter Name. (for me I selected Wireless Network Connection 2)
- Click OK and then Close.
- After following the above steps you will see the connection will be showing "Access type Internet" om the Network page which means now the Wireless connection is sharing the LAN connection.
Settings for Mobile:
- Turn your WiFi ON on your Moto E (Settings > WiFi)
- Long press WiFi to get into the active WiFi connection list where you will find the name of your mHotspot Connection.
- Click your connection name
- Enter you password.
- Check both boxes "Show Password" and "Show Advanced Options"
- Scroll down to fill more fields.
- Keep Proxy as "None"
- IP settings as "Static"
- IP Address would be your IP Address (you can find your IP address from Start > Run> cmd > then type: ipconfig and hit enter. Your IP Address would be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx)
- You can keep the Gateway as 192.168.1.1 (which I did) or you can keep it as 255.255.255.0 (whichever works for you)
- Change DNS 1 into 126.96.36.199
- Change DNS 2 into 188.8.131.52
- Click Connect
- That's it.
Now check logging into Play Store or to Google from Chrome browser. If pages are not opening then change the Gateway IP to the other one.
If it doesn't work let me know, I would be happy to help you out.
Hope I could help saving your time. Please excuse my English and typos (if any).
Enjoy you PC internet on your phone without having to buy router.