app lock queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AC Question

i had downloaded app lock on my phone and moved personal images and videos from my memory to the app lock . Now i have lost my phone with my memory card in it . Are the images still on my memory or in the phone? And if they are on my memory card do other people have access to them?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So far as I know, all of these Android "hide my images" apps contain a fatal flaw - they don't encrypt the images/videos/etc, they merely hide them in a way that an average user (your buddy who grabs your phone from your hand...) will be delayed in finding them.

However, the images/videos/etc are there and are findable. See Hacking AppLock Android App Without Knowing Password 2014 ~ Android Apps Apk-Free Recharge-Earn Money

Sorry for the bad news. Personally, I think all of these apps/developers participate in clearly false advertising; somebody should sue the b*st*rds. :)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
PS: I installed App Lock, placed an image in the vault, verified that it was no longer visible in the Gallery or Photos, then spent less than 5 minutes locating it in a subfolder of .MySecurityData. Renamed it with a .jpg extension and, lo and behold, there was the very image that I didn't want anyone to see (a picture of my desktop keyboard).

Like I said, sue the b*st*rds. Nothing in App Lock's writeup in the Play Store indicates how easily the "vault" can be broken into.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I'm thinking, "this poor guy is probably freaking out now..."

So let me try to calm you down a little.

1) Found/stolen phones are often immediately factory reset so they are harder to trace and then sold.

2) Even if not reset or cleared, someone would have to use an appropriate file browser to find anything at all.

2a) Then, he would have to either recognize the .MySecurityData folder as belonging to App Lock or simply have his curiosity piqued by such an oddly named folder.

2b) So, open the .MySecurityData folder and find a sub folder named "dont_remove." Hmmm...

2c) Open that folder and find dozens or hundreds of oddly named folders, most of which are basically empty, but they all contain sub folders named .image and .video. Hmmm...

2d) Find that some of those .image and .video folders contain files with odd names. But, what kind of files - there are no extensions? Hmmm...

2e) I wonder what happens if I rename one of those files with an image-type extension like .bmp. Nope, no good. .png? Nope, no good. .jpg? Hmmm...

I would put the odds that someone might find your stuff and view it at probably less than 10% overall.

But, sad to say, it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12