Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Phone breaking down, need to replace, but everything is huge! ATT phones only

I could really use some recommendations please.

I currently have a Galaxy S4 Active that I bought in June 2013. Over the past month or so it has been breaking down, GPS no longer works at all despite flashing it. Now my charge port literally has cracked and the plastic surrounding the prongs is slowly chipping away.

I am on the hunt for a new phone and have the ability to upgrade with a standard 2y, or do the new Next option. This is my work phone and so it is becoming crucial I replace it sooner than later and that it be reliable.

My biggest issue right now is that just like years past, everything just keeps getting bigger and bigger physically. My S4 Active is difficult as it is for me to hold in one hand, anything larger would be impossible.

I know there is the S4 Mini, but I am currently taking advantage of everything my S4 Active has to offer, so I can't downgrade in specs to the S4 Mini.

From what I can tell, I don't really seem to have any other options than get an S4 or S4 Active. It needs to be android and I haven't had luck locating anything else.

Am I overlooking something? It needs to be purchased through the carrier and I actually only have to cover whatever costs there are on the day of purchase, so I'm leaning towards the Next option as it would be cheaper for me.

Default Re: Phone breaking down, need to replace, but everything is huge! ATT phones only

Would your carrier offer the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact? Is small, high spec, high quality (tho' only 720p display), and strongly made.

Posted via Android Central App

Carrier
    Nexus 6 - CM13.0 w/6.0.1

Default Re: Phone breaking down, need to replace, but everything is huge! ATT phones only

Decisions are tough.
    If you have not already, go by the biggest store you can find and start playing around with all of the available devices.
    You will probably find one of the others to your liking.
    Good luck.

Mav.

Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

They do not carry any Sony phones.

I went to both of the closest corporate stores, being a business account I can only deal with them directly, and here is what they had:

Store 1:
    iPhone 4s, 5s, 5c
    Amazon Fire
    LG G3
    LG Flex
    HTC One M8
    S4 Mini
    S4
    S5
    S5 Active
    Galaxy Mega
    Galaxy Note 2 and 3

Store 2:
    iPhone 4s, 5s, 5c
    Amazon Fire
    LG G3
    HTC One M8
    S5
    S5 Active
    S4 Mini
    ASUS PadFone X

So it looks like I don't have many options in person, closest next store is 1.5 hours away. So I've been eyeing their website and see the Moto X.

Carrier
    Nexus 6 - CM13.0 w/6.0.1

Any one or two of the devices that you liked?

Mav.

No, lol!

I already have an S4 Active and my mom has the S4, so I'm intimate with them. I just can't handle anything larger in size and everything except the S4 Mini and Moto X are bigger. S4 Mini would be a definite downgrade in user quality for me and the Moto X I can only see as a dummy phone, not a usable one. So I'm trying to read articles and watch review videos.

Carrier
    Nexus 6 - CM13.0 w/6.0.1

Since you are already used to the Samsung line, the S5 may be your best bet.
    It is a bit larger, but you will get used to it.
    Just my opinion.

Mav.

I've had my S4 Active for over a year and in that time I've gotten to the point I leave it in the house or car and just don't carry it with me at all. I can't stand the size and it hurts my hand to use it if I don't use both hands. So I know I can't go bigger.

I guess I'll keep looking into the Moto X and hope that maybe in the mean time the S5 Mini will come out and be good.