Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By goin_nil
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 Randomly Shuts off by itself

I've had my phone since Nov. 2013 and it's been good to me. No water damage. Recently it started shutting down by itself. If I keep it charging it's fine. When I'm actively using my phone it's fine. Once I hit the lock screen button, it will still be on then in about 10 minutes when I go to check on my phone again, it's turned off. It's turning off by itselft. I have insurance on the phone but am wondering if there is any remedy before I resort to replacing my phone. I have pics/music/videos/contacts, I don't want to loose that stuff. I am not tech savvy so I don't know how to "back up" or save all my files before trying a factory reset to resolve the issue. Should I just go to my wireless provider for help before it turns off for good? Or are there any Android "tricks" that I can try to save my phone and all of its contents.

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Randomly Shuts off by itself

Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Turn master Sync on (Green Sync icon when you pull down the notification shade, usually.) Go to General - Accounts - Google, touch name/email, make sure all sync settings you want are checked. You can save photos, (+music and documents) to a pc via usb or Samsung Kies instead of Google Photos / Picasa if you want. Do the same with the Samsung account. Remember your Google and Samsung log in's. Try Samsung Kies on a pc and do a backup there. You can use Google+ / Drive, Dropbox, etc. Everyone has their own preferences for doing this. You can also download Helium backup to save your app data / settings.

The only thing I can suggest with turning off by itself is it will do that if it reaches a certain temperature.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

Try a new battery...here's how I figured it out....

My wife's phone has been having nearly the exact same issue. I tried a factory reset, and a bunch of other things like turning off apps, clearing cache, etc. Finally, I decided to swap batteries between my wife's S3 and my S3. Immediately her phone would stay on with no problems and my phone now would randomly shut off during use.

Something else to note is that with my wife's phone, and now mine (with the bad battery), would stay on with no problems as long as it was plugged in.

I just figured this out after nearly two weeks of dealing with the phone shutting off. While typing this post, I have already had to restart my phone 3 times! Since I didn't have a single issue with the phone until I installed my wife's battery, the issue is clearly just the battery. I hope this helps and that your issue is quickly resolved.

Good luck
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Quote Originally Posted by georgek11 View Post
    Try a new battery...here's how I figured it out....

My wife's phone has been having nearly the exact same issue. I tried a factory reset, and a bunch of other things like turning off apps, clearing cache, etc. Finally, I decided to swap batteries between my wife's S3 and my S3. Immediately her phone would stay on with no problems and my phone now would randomly shut off during use.

Something else to note is that with my wife's phone, and now mine (with the bad battery), would stay on with no problems as long as it was plugged in.

I just figured this out after nearly two weeks of dealing with the phone shutting off. While typing this post, I have already had to restart my phone 3 times! Since I didn't have a single issue with the phone until I installed my wife's battery, the issue is clearly just the battery. I hope this helps and that your issue is quickly resolved.

Good luck
    .... or it could be the battery!

Useful input, thanks!
    Welcome to Android Central.

People have different habits, schedules and needs so everyone's battery charging can vary and reduce it's lifespan. I would agree with any argument from the OP that it shouldn't fail since November though. I got my phone the same time and ithe battery is fine.

If it is the battery at least they are relatively inexpensive now. Stick with a Samsung or Anker imo.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

It could be "dirty" battery contacts that need to be cleaned (ie the phone loses connection to the battery and shuts down as if the battery was pulled out of the phone).

Watch this video -
    Cell Phone Keeps Turning Off | Guaranteed Fix:
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Just had a thought... the weight of the battery in the phone might be pulling the battery contacts away from the phone contacts when I "drop" the phone into my pocket.

I tend to drop my phone into my pocket upside down so that when I reach in to pull it out, it is right side up when I look at it.

This little vertical drop of a few inches might just be enough to bump the battery down and very temporarily dislodge the battery contacts away from the phone contacts. Thus it's like doing a battery pull. Poof! Off!

This makes sense to me since I have a very "heavy" extended battery, the ZeroLemon 7000 mAh battery. It's twice as thick as the phone and weighs just as much as the phone itself (minus the battery). So that little 3" to 4" drop might be just enough to jar the battery loose for a split second. I'm a guy with pockets big enough to do this.

I've not been able to purposefully make this happen yet but maybe it takes several drops to make it happen.

Does this sound reasonable, logical?
    Last edited by goin_nil; 09-02-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Madd54 likes this.

^^^That's a very interesting thought and one the manufacturers might be interested in hearing.

Posted via Android Central App