Not all Google Photos Backed Up

Mailman44

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have and Htc One M8. When I take pics with either the Google Camera or the Htc camera all the pics can be viewed in the Google Photos app. I have the settings set to auto backup. And according to the app all pics are in fact backed up. Yet if I login to Google Photos some are not there. And there is no rhyme or reason that I can see. Yesterday I took 3 pics with the Htc camera and only one of them is available for viewing on a device other than my phone.

If I try to Chromecast my pics I get an error saying that only pics backed up will be able to be casted. Am I missing something here?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't explain why only some of the photos would be backed up and not others unless it is a case of, for example, you take 2 pics at 7am and you meet your auto backup conditions at 12pm then take another pic at 2pm, in which case the 2pm pic would not be backed up until your conditions are met again. My conditions are only back up over WiFi and when charging since I usually meet both of these conditions while at home. The only other way I could see partial backups would be in a situation different than what you are describing where you take pics with different apps and say one app is not set to be sync'd in your G+ settings. However you are saying that these pics were taken with the same app....?

First thing I would check is your G+ auto sync settings just to be certain that you know what conditions you have set there so that you can be sure you are meeting them. I'm not sure how to set the albums that G+ draws from but I know it has asked me if I want to sync a new camera app with G+, and I can see in my G+ app that it is syncing 13 albums, but I can't see how to choose or exclude any of them. This may have to be done on line and I am unable to do that at the moment.

Mailman44

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Well in my auto backup settings I have: On of course, Backup when wi fi is available, Backup Local folders. I don't really see any other settings that should affect it. Could it possibly be because I have my pics going to the sd card and not the internal storage? I don't see any way of selecting certain folders. The whole thing baffles me. Especially given the fact that when I go to the photos app it shows that all pics are backed up. Even when I select "Backup All" in settings it simply reports Backup Complete a moment later.

I do use 2 different camera apps. The Google Camera and the Htc camera that is pre installed. Actually both are pre installed. I'm using my one drive app to backup my pics until I get this resolved but I would much prefer the google method.

Mailman44

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok I figured it out. It's just as I suggested about folder locations. I have my pics from both camera apps save to my sd card. Within the DCIM folder I have 2 subfolders.100Media, and Camera Roll. Everything in the Camera Roll folder was backed up and viewable on all devices. The files that were in 100Media were not. I cut and pasted from 100Media to Camera roll, since that folder had the files in question. That fixed it.

Now I just have to figure out why some pics are going to that 1 particular folder, or why files in that folder are not backed up. I don't see a setting that allows me to address either issue. But I at least have a workaround for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith