Giving up on connecting to mobile data

A

AC Question

Hi all,

I bought a Galaxy S3 some time ago in California, but my main use of the phone is abroad. When I insert a SIM card (tried with two different mobile networks, so it's not one specific network), I do have calls and text messages. However - I am not able to connect to the internet (via the mobile network). When I try accessing the settings, and tap on "Mobile networks", I get a message saying "Insert SIM card to access network services". So on the one hand it doesn't recognize the SIM card, and that's why I cannot connect to the internet, but on the other I do have calls and text messages.

I tried with different cellular networks, and I also tried factory resetting the dvevice and formatting etc.

I read a lot about this problem online, but I couldn't find any solution to the problem. So should I simply give up on my phone and get another one? Is there anything I could do?

P.S. going back to the store/lab etc. isn't possible for me because I don't plan on visiting California any time soon...

Thanks!

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I bought a Galaxy S3 some time ago in California, but my main use of the phone is abroad. When I insert a SIM card (tried with two different mobile networks, so it's not one specific network), I do have calls and text messages. However - I am not able to connect to the internet (via the mobile network). When I try accessing the settings, and tap on "Mobile networks", I get a message saying "Insert SIM card to access network services". So on the one hand it doesn't recognize the SIM card, and that's why I cannot connect to the internet, but on the other I do have calls and text messages.

I tried with different cellular networks, and I also tried factory resetting the dvevice and formatting etc.

I read a lot about this problem online, but I couldn't find any solution to the problem. So should I simply give up on my phone and get another one? Is there anything I could do?

P.S. going back to the store/lab etc. isn't possible for me because I don't plan on visiting California any time soon...

For using mobile data when you are 'abroad' you need 'roaming' enabled in the Settings. Is it?
BTW mobile data are expensive. When 'abroad' – so when you're 'roaming' – it's super expensive!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
..... and have you had the apn settings installed for each sim. You may have to switch between them.
Connections - More Networks - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
..... and have you had the apn settings installed for each sim. You may have to switch between them.
Connections - More Networks - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

MrCrumbs

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

About the APN - as I said, once I tap on "Mobile Networks" it shows a message "Insert SIM card to access network services", and it doesn't let me in the settings, so I cannot change anything there manually.
I did send a text message to the carrier as they instructed in one of their pages. It was supposed to send me back automatically a settings file that I only have to confirm, but it never sent me anything like that.. so I can't really change any of those settings because tapping "Mobile Networks" just pulls the message I wrote earlier..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of then is to factory reset.. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what could be the issue since phone calls and text messages work.. Just not the data.

It also makes sense you didn't receive the file from your carrier. It would come as an MMS message and that needs mobile data to download.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

About the APN - as I said, once I tap on "Mobile Networks" it shows a message "Insert SIM card to access network services", and it doesn't let me in the settings, so I cannot change anything there manually.
I did send a text message to the carrier as they instructed in one of their pages. It was supposed to send me back automatically a settings file that I only have to confirm, but it never sent me anything like that.. so I can't really change any of those settings because tapping "Mobile Networks" just pulls the message I wrote earlier..

Have you tried tapping Mobile Networks with the SIM out, then when you get the message, inserting it and seeing whether it recognises it and lets you enter the APN settings?

Posted via Android Central App

MrCrumbs

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, I lost my phone and just now found it again. I tried inserting the SIM only when requested, and still it doesn't work. The model no. is I9300, which should work... so I still can't find a solution. Thanks anyway!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A user in another thread said he could only connect to wifi by switching on Airplane Mode first. As a last desperate attempt, with a few minutes to fill, you could try to set up while toggling that in various combinations...you never know. (Although you can be pretty dang sure it won't work.)

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781