Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nikki Schlenvogt
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  • 1 Post By SunnieDaze
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Wifi networks say "turned off" ever since update to android 4.3

I have a Galaxy S4. My wifi was working fine before and I upgraded to 4.3 software over wifi. I want to do the next software upgrade but my phone won't let me do this without wifi, and ever since the upgrade to 4.3, my wifi won't work. When I turn on the wifi, it shows the list of networks available, and the ones I know are working (my personal one, the one at work) show they have a signal but they say "turned off" underneath the network name. I know they are not turned off. The phone still gives me the option to connect to these networks that say "turned off" and it does say connected, but it never really connects. I am still on 4G. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Wifi networks say "turned off" ever since update to android 4.3

Here is a picture to show how it says it's connected but its' not

Wifi networks say "turned off" ever since update to android 4.3-1.png

Here is a pic to show how it says turned off under the network

Wifi networks say "turned off" ever since update to android 4.3-2.png

I did get wifi to work now... by going under settings > more networks > mobile networks and unchecking "mobile data." I now have the next software upgrade downloading... but why should I have to do this to use wifi?
    SunnieDaze likes this.

same here crazy! anyone fugured this one out

Global Posts
    22,249 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Schlenvogt View Post
    but why should I have to do this to use wifi?
    Your provider probably prefers that you use mobile data - they don't make any money if you "go over" on wifi (if there were such a thing), so they default the phone to mobile data even if wifi is on. Nasty, but not nice.

Then again, the 4.3 update has been known to cause problems with some Samsung phones. (A lot of S3s just stopped working altogether.)

Rule of thumb - if you get an over the air update, and something goes wrong with the phone, it's legally the responsibility of the company that sent the update to fix the problem. The actual wording differs in different jurisdictions, but the law is basically, "you broke it, you own it". They broke it. (My carrier had to replace a phone of mine they couldn't reflash after a bad OTA update.)
    SunnieDaze likes this.

Talking Re: Wifi networks say "turned off" ever since update to android 4.3

THANK YOU!!!! I have been having this problem for a while now. I am so thankful I found this post! I was considering backing up my data and restoring it to factory and I'm SO glad I don't have to do that!!!!
    I have had the same exact issue with the update trying to happen but not being able to connect to wifi, turned off, all of it! Your solution, I can verify, worked exactly as you said (for anyone reading this who may wonder).. Oh, I have a Galaxy S3.

Thank you, again!!
    Rukbat likes this.

Unhappy Re: Wifi networks say "turned off" ever since update to android 4.3

I have the same problem with my Galaxy Alpha. I am able to connect to Wifi only if I have Mobile Data turned off, otherwise my wifi network says "Turned Off". When calling Samsung tech support, they told me to either restart my phone every time I leave a wifi connection, or to back up my phone and reset it to the factory default. They say they designed the phone to automatically connect to the stronger single, which just seems like a scam to get me to use up my mobile data so they can charge me when I go over. The way it ought to work is to connect to Wifi if Wifi is available, and then go to mobile data if wifi is turned off or out of range. Not sure if this will cause me to rethink buying any Samsung products after this...

Samsung Note Pro 12.2 owner here ...this device is just a WiFi device with with 4.4 android ... There is no option for mobile networks..... I experience the exact Same problem when connecting to my MotoX phone as a mobile hotspot... Which I use successfully with my PC and other mobile devices. Samsung said once to reset to factory... I did and the problem went away for a couple weeks. Now its back.... I even set for my hotspot unchecked in the area where I could tell the samsung device that the MotoX was a mobile network... No change. What is weird is that it will work fine after a hard reset but will never recover on its own...there has to be something under the covers triggering it...I have repeated this 3 times before..... Anyone else with this device having similar issues?

Hi I've got the note pro 12 and im having the same problem. I only had it 3 hours I'd jus finished downloading 4.3 update and the wifi was gone. I spent the next 8 hours trying everything to get it to work NOTHING so I reset to factory settings and it started working. But then 1 hour later it did it again so I reset again . This time it stayed on now I don't won't to put music and pics and apps if I've got to reboot every 10 minutes. ....HELP...!!!!!.PLEASE...!!!

Thank you . That fixed it.

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Schlenvogt View Post
    I did get wifi to work now... by going under settings > more networks > mobile networks and unchecking "mobile data." I now have the next software upgrade downloading... but why should I have to do this to use wifi?
    I know I'm late to this party, but thank you so much for this thread. It was extremely helpful.

Awsome thank u for figuring that out I have been tripping for a few days now after he thing a upgrade