Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By eve1003
  • 2 Post By ldragon76
  • 1 Post By eve1003
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I think my hard drive has been hacked on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - please advise

Hi there - due to an disgruntled ex !! I have been told this evening that a third party has hacked into my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - to obtain all the hard drive information and deleted text, messages etc......and that it is available to him when he pays them £350 !!

I am not that great with technology - and would really appreciate someones help and advice.

Can this be done.....is this legal ?

I have since turned off my mobile and removed the battery and sim card - as I am now afraid to use it.

My ex is quite a whiz with technology and I fear this has happened.

I would really appreciate any advice from someone with a greater knowledge than me !!

Thank you in advance.....Eve.

Global Posts
    22,178 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: I think my hard drive has been hacked on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - please advise

Welcome to the forums, although not under the best circumstances.

Can all this be done? Probably. Legal? No. As for what to do? I am not sure.

Did you have any sensitive information on your tablet?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: I think my hard drive has been hacked on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - please advise

Yes...I have personal information, bank accounts, personal message etc.

I am wondering if I can ever turn on my mobile again - or if I should purchase a new one.

Eve ;-)

Sorry to **** in, as @Golfdriver97 will say this anyway, but you already have a new phone in your hands if you wipe it.

Are you worried there will be a virus or a trojan spy installed.
    Has that information been taken, just deleted off the phone, or you haven't checked it yet.
    I don't think there is anything they can hold over you or extort you for. I could be being dense. If you were going to buy a new one, this 3rd party can't access your current Android phone as with a Windows pc. They can lock, trace and erase it with your Google log in by using Android Device Manager.

Apart from factory resetting the phone and also encrypting before and / or after -

I would suggest changing the password for your Google account.

@Golfdriver97 can advise you better.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi there - thank you for the information.

My ex partner has instructed some concern online - that can apparently access my hard drive - and send him a copy for £350.

I have personal, private and banking information on there - and I obviously would like to keep this private.

I am really not sure if this is just an enormous lie - or if this can be achieved - therefore both he and the online 3rd party have my information.

I have turned off my phone - and am seeking as much advise as I can - as I am really not too sure what to do.

I will change my google log in - thank you for the advice - but I wondered if there was anything else I can do to clear all my information from the phone - as he tells me that once he has the hard drive - he can then access any old deleted messages, images etc...

Thank you for being so helpful - regards.....Eve ;-)
    Madd54 likes this.

I've got to wonder why he would tell you he's doing it, if it's actually true in any way.

Sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk
    shaleem and Madd54 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ha ha - tell me about it - this is exactly why he is my ex......very controlling.....and likes to know everything about me.

I use my mobile for personal and business purposes - so I am a little lost without it - therefore I thought I would ask you gys for some much needed knowledge.

Regards....Eve { who plans on being single for quite some time !! }
    Madd54 likes this.

Hello to you! Welcome also.

My brain is struggling here; but it is generally assumed Android can not be hacked or at least no spyware installed?

My suggestions to start with: Encrypt, then wipe your phone. (We'll show you). On a pc, log in to your Google and Samsung accounts and any cloud accounts you have syncing like Dropbox, and change the passwords. (I would just add 2 numbers or change the last two digits at the end - though that may not be good advice).

The harder part would be changing your bank and other log ins if you think you should. I agree it is likely a bluff.

If you sync to a pc regularly, as in Samsung Kies, maybe check for pc spyware with a good anti virus programme if Windows.

Most who reset/wipe their phone would like to keep their app log ins / info but maybe you should start fresh with bank apps and all other log ins as well.

So you are starting with a clean phone, and a fresher one, but it will be slower to set all the apps and screens up again. I did it like this on my Note 3 after a card fault.

You can get your apps from your account on the Play Store and / or take them from your synced Google account. You can save your photo, music and document files to a computer folder or via Samsung Kies.

I haven't written this well, but basically there won't be spyware on the phone, but whether they have gained access to your account log -ins only you can know.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I would add that if you change all your passwords you may not need to reset your phone.
    I would invite more knowledgeable opinions than mine though.

It may be your Google and synced accounts they have access to via your pc, if he/they had access to that. Anyway, I am out of my depth but I really think you are fine if you change your account passwords.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Hi there - thank you so much for this information - I will certainly be making the changes that you have suggested.

You have been mega-helpful....thank you again ..... Eve ;-)

You're very welcome, though I missed a few points.
    Join in the Samsung Note 3 forums when you are up and running, or before.
    Take a look at the Android Central Community where you'll find: Introductions, General Help and How to, Ambassadors guides, and Android Central Lounge for other general topics. Lots to see here. Enjoy.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    22,178 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by eve1003 View Post
    Hi there - thank you so much for this information - I will certainly be making the changes that you have suggested.

You have been mega-helpful....thank you again ..... Eve ;-)
    Madd54 definitely gave the best info/course of action possible. I just got back to this thread and was thinking of suggesting to advise your banks of the situation, and they can help out there. They will probably bend over backwards to help stop fraud.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    Madd54 likes this.