S4s screen issues

mistyrich

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Okay 3 weeks ago my one yr old threw my samsung s4 in the Brazos river , I came home placed it in rice, a day later ,phone turned on and worked great for 2 weeks until i was walking to my bedroom, dropped my phone , cracked the glass and screen. I took the phone to a phone repair place ,who in-turn replaced the whole screen ($200 w/6 mth warranty). Phone worked great for a day in a half , what could be causing my phone to freeze on the log in screen . I've taken phone to the repair place again ( they replaced it with a new screen) and they are now saying the phone is non- repairable but it worked fine the first day in a half after they replaced the screen. They since sent my phone to Wisconsin to their repair office , who could not figure out what was wrong with it. It's weird because they said if they left the screws off the back, phone would work, but once they Placed them back in, the phone would freeze at "Samsung galaxy start up. Please help !!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Did you tell them about the water accident? Although your phone worked well after drying for a day, I would have dried for more like a week to be sure of getting the water out and I wonder whether there's some left inside?

Posted via Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I see you've just joined the Forums, so, Welcome!
Regarding your phone, presumably replacing the screws causes pressure or distortion somewhere which in turn causes an electrical or electronic malfunction. I guess either the water or the drop may have been the start of it. In your position I would still have a go at drying in rice for a few days, because there may still be some trapped deep inside. It will cost nothing and may just work.

mistyrich

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks , would that still be possible even if they replaced the whole screen and digitizer? They reinstall my mother board and worked fine for a day in a half , and keep in mind the phone worked great for 2 weeks before the break. On utube a lot of people say it may have corrosion in the ports, could that be a possibility ? , and what solvent would I use to clean it because a lot say 99% alcohol will remove the corrosion.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've just looked up the Brazos river and it says it has a high salt content. Is that right? If so, it's not good and corrosion is all the more likely. Yes, some say alcohol could be used for removing corrosion, but others say not. I've just come across this which may be of interest, unless you've already seen:

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2267431.html

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
....But of course it may not be a water problem at all. Is the battery good? Also, are you able to get into Recovery Mode and perform a Cache Partition wipe?

mistyrich

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Battery was tested by the tech and once he placed a new one in, phone booted up to the samsung start screen and that was all.,but once he started tinkering with the motherboard and screws , he found that if he removed one on the lower right hand side screws ,..phone would work great and follow through the whole start up and make calls and work perfect,but once he would place screw back in, it would freeze up again.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad