RCA Tablet will only connect to WiFi standing right next to the router.

A

AC Question

All my other devices work all over the house, but my new tablet I can walk 2 steps away from the router and it drops the signal and says not in range. I bought a new WiFi router, same thing. I move the router on top of a wooden bookshelf and still no success. Its been 2 days of trying and I'm about ready to return the tablet unless anyone has any solutions.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! RCA is not known for making quality devices, so my guess would be faulty hardware. But sometimes there can be interference between Bluetooth and wi-fi--is the device's Bluetooth on? If so, turn it off and see if that helps.

Nelly Hester

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply, but there is no blue-tooth option on the tablet. My brother suggested changing the channel that the wifi router has to the tablet? But I'm not sure what he means or how to do that.
Also it will have full bars for about 5 minutes when the screen is idle, but the second that I go to click on facebook, or google it looses the signal

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The wi-fi channel is something that you set on the router. But changing the wi-fi channel wouldn't address the issue you're describing, which sounds more like a range issue. I'd be suspicious of a poor wi-fi antenna in the device, which you probably can't fix.

Just in case, check out this guide and see if any of the tips help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

Lindsay Britton

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I bought each of my children an RCA tablet for Christmas and one of theirs is doing the same thing. 3 of the tablets can connect to our wifi at any room in our house, but 1 of them will disconnect as soon as it's about 15 feet away from the router. I've tried resetting the router (even though I know it's not the issue as the wifi works for the other tablets) and I've tried all internet options on the tablet, but nothing is working.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought each of my children an RCA tablet for Christmas and one of theirs is doing the same thing. 3 of the tablets can connect to our wifi at any room in our house, but 1 of them will disconnect as soon as it's about 15 feet away from the router. I've tried resetting the router (even though I know it's not the issue as the wifi works for the other tablets) and I've tried all internet options on the tablet, but nothing is working.

Take the one giving you problems some place with a wifi hotspot like McDonald's or Starbucks or even better to a friend's with wifi and see if it does the same thing. If it does I would return it as it probably has a defective wifi Antenna. If the tablet works all right every where else then something in your environment is causing interference between the router and that 1 tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The wi-fi channel is something that you set on the router. But changing the wi-fi channel wouldn't address the issue you're describing, which sounds more like a range issue. I'd be suspicious of a poor wi-fi antenna in the device, which you probably can't fix.

Just in case, check out this guide and see if any of the tips help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

Actually wifi channel can affect range. If the channel currently being used is congested it can limit the range and changing channels to one less busy can improve it. Not speaking specifically to B. Diddy but the people having problems hopefully aren't running a router behind a router (saw that way too many times when I was doing tech support because someone was using an old router as a range extender or a wired switch and they didn't configure it properly).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Meta Van Skiver

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. I bought them for my 2 boys. I have taken the wii fi connection to my house and forgot it, so I could reload it. I have wifi all around the house with my sons tablet and my tablet which is ASUS. My computers are working too. It is just his tablet. I have disabled all parent protection services to make sure I did not have any limits on it. So at this point my guess is the antenna idea. I guess that is what I get for buying Walmart cheapy. Any other ideas???

William Lambert

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
All my other devices work all over the house, but my new tablet I can walk 2 steps away from the router and it drops the signal and says not in range. I bought a new WiFi router, same thing. I move the router on top of a wooden bookshelf and still no success. Its been 2 days of trying and I'm about ready to return the tablet unless anyone has any solutions.

This don't have wifi on here man

lsbasiaga

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
had the same problem new out of the box it was working fine.... could access wifi all over the house..after about a month of use it was even a low signal standing next to the router. I was not using the device. So I took out all the screws and had to pry the cover off. it snaps off and snaps back on, start a the side with all the controls it is easier to get started. When I got it open the solder joints on the antenna and it's connection to the circuit board looked like "cold solder joints" so I reflowed the solder joints and its is working all over the house again. RCA 10 inch Viking Pro - am happy with my purchase again. the workers in china must have not cleaned their soldering irons when they soldered a lot of these. I have seen this problem before when I worked for RCA in Camden NJ. some people just don't care about the quality of their work or were not trained properly.

InsanityOver9000

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site

My voyager is doing the same thing. But I was able to connect to the wifi on it and leave this reply by pinching my fingers about where the sd card port is (near the volume buttons). Of course this is a temporary fix but my theory is that the antenna on the inside of the tablet is loose and when I apply pressure to it it helps it stay in place. (For some reason when I do this little trick the tablet detects more wifi networks near me than ever before, and they all have a terrific signal.)

MNMNJofif

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site

Look here is how you solve this Step 1: Contact RCA with this info.-Email RCA support here.
Phone number: 877-252-6873 or 800-252-6123.
Additional Information.
Official Site: RCA Tablets Step 2 when calling is either Option A: Technical support or Option B: Speak to a representative then ask for technical support Step 3: Tell them you are having issues with ur rooter instead of all the trouble of switching channels in case you need it else where You will then have to supply them with the tablets IMEI and they will manual connect your router to your tablet